• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does the ABS work through the PCM, or is it standalone?

Typically a separate module.

So I have a '96 that has ABS with a reman engine, rebuilt front and rear diffs, new alternator, steering box, suspension, etc., but a crappy body and interior.

I found a non-ABS 2000 with a great body and interior but a bad engine. I'm thinkin I'll just put the 2000 intake and coilpacks on my reman 96 engine and swap it in, along with the diffs, suspension, etc., and the ABS

It's a bit more involved than that. But the theory is sound. The 96 fi and ignition systems are different than the 2000. And it's not entirely backwards compatible. Research Research research.

I managed to score a 99 someone was trying to swap a 96 power train into because he didn't know they weren't compatible.

XJ ABS is IMO not a big deal. Mine has been disabled for +15 years.

Any 1987-2001 XJ Cherokee 4.0 L engine block or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange.

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, throttle body, fuel injector rail, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

If your 2000-2001 XJ Cherokee has a cracked 0331 head, buy a good used redesigned and more durable TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ 4.0L TJ Wrangler or WJ Grand Cherokee.* The 0331 head up through mid-2001 was fit only for scrap - look for a replacement with the TUPY foundry mark under the oil fill cap, this is the revised head that will last. Available late 2001-2006, this TUPY 0331 can be retrofitted in place of an early 0331 head without difficulty.

It seems like abs is important to the poster. Having to stop several hundred times a day on gravel it's very important to me. I don't know if it is run through the ecm or not. It's at the very least going to need a vehicle speed signal to compare wheel speed values I would venture. What year did they change the speed sensor signal type? I know its different from a 95 to a 2k.

Back