• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Jeep has a sunroof!!!

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
A big thanks to Pete (over2land) for helping me with my rig today. We installed a canvas top on it....It looks freakin awesome....rattle a little, but mostly because we did not take anytime to really adjust, it ended up being an all day job.

Overall, it looks freaking cool, the hole goes from the front to the rear, and for those wondering, it did nothing in terms of weaken the roof. The canvass top has an aluminum frame that goes all the way around, so I think it might have actually stiffened it up...... The hole we cut staqyed the exact same size we cut it, hence no buckling or weakening...I am stoked. Pics should be hear late tonight....(Right Pete??)

Anyways, i am tired!

tcm glx said:
Overall, it looks freaking cool, the hole goes from the front to the rear, and for those wondering, it did nothing in terms of weaken the roof. The canvass top has an aluminum frame that goes all the way around, so I think it might have actually stiffened it up...... The hole we cut staqyed the exact same size we cut it, hence no buckling or weakening...I am stoked.
Did you flex it yet? Also can you take good measuremnts of the opening as it is now and then remeasure after you flex your rig couple times on the trail ? (a nice trail run). I'm curious as to how the hole holds up. Also how does the frame mount to the roof? Rivets? sheet metal screws or...?

Did not take it out and flex it. It is held by nuts and bolts all around the aluminum cage. Looks very good inside. And outside. I will take pre and post measurements after some driving.

4xSanta said:
I cannot believe cutting a hole in your roof that size won't blow the intregrity of your body,my roof "oil cans" without a large hole in it, only time will tell.......SANTA

Tru, time will tell!

aluminum will flex. unless its got lots of triangulated supports, I'd imagine a good cage would help. Tony, didnt you recently install one? RockHard cage? or new fab?

djblade311 said:
aluminum will flex. unless its got lots of triangulated supports, I'd imagine a good cage would help. Tony, didnt you recently install one? RockHard cage? or new fab?

Yeah, I have a Rock Hard cage, TNT unibody stiffeners, and both of those items welded up together.

yes tony is caged. i dont think tony twists his rig up as much as you tho santa ;) so whats the deal tony, is it a power rollback top or what man?? details! or email me the pics and i'll photobucket em, or you can use my photobucket PM me for the password.

GrimmJeeper said:
yes tony is caged. i dont think tony twists his rig up as much as you tho santa ;) so whats the deal tony, is it a power rollback top or what man?? details! or email me the pics and i'll photobucket em, or you can use my photobucket PM me for the password.

Give me your email addy Mike...

heres tony's pics:

IMG_6464.jpg

IMG_6470.jpg

IMG_6481.jpg

IMG_6494.jpg

IMG_6513.jpg

xj2.jpg

i gotta admit, it looks prety good tony, even if it is a little too mexican for me :D

:clap:

Nice AC but this is better...
Redneck_Air_Conditioning.jpg

thats looks awesome..

Ill give you 5 bucks for an Azusa trip with the top open.:clap:

that does look pretty cool. That would be perfect if you liked to camp udner the stars in your rig listening to Air Supply

GrimmJeeper said:
heres tony's pics:

i gotta admit, it looks prety good tony, even if it is a little too mexican for me :D

:clap:

:doh: :patriot: its clean, its definitly you :D, hope it holds up, but with the cage,a nd the stiffeners, should be ok eh?

peace
ted

Back