• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first off road adventure in WV

Christian P

NAXJA Forum User
A few weeks ago I went into the sticks of West Virginia. Took 79 south to 68 east to the Cooper's Rock exit, 22 miles before the Maryland line. Exit might have been called Sandy Creek if I remember correctly.

Anyways we got off the exit and took a right (if comming from Maryland 68 west take a left when you get off the exit). Anyways we went down about 1.5 to 2 miles town and took a right on to Little Sandy Creek Road. This road goes back aways, has a Y which you bend to the right and has several hills. Plus the road quality starts at paved, moves to gravel, then ends up going to dirt in a matter of 3 to 5 miles. Going back, after the Y you will go about 1 or 2 miles and see a red garage on your right hand side. The next right hand turn you can make onto a road is where we went next.

Now mind you none of the roads are named or marked. More or less, from here on out, if you have an accident you are on your own. The road leads to a old vacation spot of old cottages and camping spots. There is a small one lane bridge that leads to a longer bridge that is grated. Once crossing the bridge begins the off road part of the trip.

We turned left up a 7% grade path that was washed and grooved in several tracks. We had to zig zag to make it to the top of this hill. Then began the fun part. The "road" we climed up on to was an old cobble stone path that hasn't been maintained for 50+ years. The path has several stones and is VERY narrow. Trees squeeze you between them and it's a good idea to fold in your mirrors. There are rocks that you have to put a tire on to climb over unless you have a 3" lift. Even then there are some bolders that won't clear without climbing over. We went back about 6 miles, never getting over 10 MPH, through mud holes, rocks that blocked the path, and held tight to the road due to the fact it had a 70 foot cliff drop off. There was a muffler that was on the path that we removed from someone that didn't drive so well as well as a truck that fell off the cliff and sat at the bottom of the cliff. We got to the end of the path and camped out in the woods for 2 days. There are rapids that spead next to us with several waterfalls that flowed near by.

My girlfriend took pictures that I hope to post when we get them developed. It's a great off road spot less than 2 hours from Pittsburgh, Pa, my home base. It was my first off road experence that I've ever gone on plus 6 veichles were Jeep Charokee Sports and 2 Grand Cherokees. No other veicles made the climb, however we saw a jacked up Chevy that had 30" tires and a ladder to climb into the cab along the way, but the trees made it to narrow for him to go the distance.

After this trip I want to get a metal grill/bumper for the front of my Jeep so I can run into 2" and 3" diameter trees and run them over. What a trip, I hope ot have many more off road experences.

Christian P said:
After this trip I want to get a metal grill/bumper for the front of my Jeep so I can run into 2" and 3" diameter trees and run them over.
Sounds like a good trip Christian, glad you enjoyed the experience of being outdoors with your Cherokee. However if i may...please google "Tread Lightly", you'll read about responsible outdoor vehicular travel.

Then come back and share your experiences, i'd love to hear more about WV as i want to visit myself.

John B said:
Christian P said:
After this trip I want to get a metal grill/bumper for the front of my Jeep so I can run into 2" and 3" diameter trees and run them over.
However if i may...please google "Tread Lightly", you'll read about responsible outdoor vehicular travel.

I don't mean that I'm going to drive through nature and run over trees, but along the path smaller saplings and locust trees were growing. We had to stop to cut two of them down (they were no more than 5 feet tall, growing in the middle of the path) to pass to the camping site. The bumper would protect my front grill from getting scratched up, but I don't own the Jeep to keep it clean. It's more or less for out door fun.

The bad news is Walgreens lost the photos. :bawl: Guess I have to head back down there in August sometime. :spin1:

Back