• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear upper shock mounts

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
well ive been running NO rear shocks for the past month and its starting to get annoying. the reason i have no shocks in the rear is because when i took the stock shocks off, the bolt broke off inside the body, i am talking about the 4 bolts that hold the top of the shock to the body. all 4 broke ( 2 for each shock ) any good suggestions on how to solve this. i thought about just getting somone to weld ( i dont have a welder ) bar pin eliminators up there so i can just pass a bolt through the 2 eye lits and through the shock. is there an easier way ?? any help on this would be much appreciated. ive searched forever

Just get yourself a good drill bit about 3/8 " and drill out the bolts. Then run some body bolts into the holes. Works like a champ!

RNMCGUIRE said:
Just get yourself a good drill bit about 3/8 " and drill out the bolts. Then run some body bolts into the holes. Works like a champ!

even easier is get a screw driver and put it on the busted bolts and give it 3 good wacks with a hammer and the welded nuts pop right out, and then drop new bolts in from the side with a little wire taped to the bolt

dmxjg35c said:
even easier is get a screw driver and put it on the busted bolts and give it 3 good wacks with a hammer and the welded nuts pop right out, and then drop new bolts in from the side with a little wire taped to the bolt
Ding ding ding.
We have a winnahhhh.
But, it may take four whacks.

dmxjg35c said:

x2..

then i used these
stm_main.jpg

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjstm.php

Okie Terry said:
Ding ding ding.
We have a winnahhhh.
But, it may take four whacks.
Use an air chiesel. Much easier. JIM.

dmxjg35c said:

EDIT; nevermind you answered it in another post, haha.

Last edited:
Was replacing my rear shocks today, the driver side bolts came out no problem, the two passenger bolts both snapped off.

I guess using an impact hammer to knock the sheared bolts and spot welded nuts out, then slide new bolts in through the exisiting holes.

How do you hold down the bolts to tighten the nuts on? will a wrench fit in there to hold the bolt? should I spot weld the bolt to hold it there while I tighten?

Quick answers are appreciated, wanna get this fixed tomorrow so I can head out monday morning... Thanks.

I had two to break when I did my lift. I drilled up through the welded remaining stud and taped the holes. Then used bolts to mount the shocks.

Last edited:
i didnt really even think to knock the welded nuts and broken bolts off! i cut holes in my cargo floor (advice from another thread), which worked but it would have been nicer to just do everything from under the jeep

I didnt have to put a wrench on it, i just put the shocks back up with a luck washer and a nut and tightend it up and they grabbed and that was it

richaa said:
Was replacing my rear shocks today, the driver side bolts came out no problem, the two passenger bolts both snapped off.

I guess using an impact hammer to knock the sheared bolts and spot welded nuts out, then slide new bolts in through the exisiting holes.

How do you hold down the bolts to tighten the nuts on? will a wrench fit in there to hold the bolt? should I spot weld the bolt to hold it there while I tighten?

Quick answers are appreciated, wanna get this fixed tomorrow so I can head out monday morning... Thanks.

Thats why I recommend self tapping body bolts. You just crank them in and don't worry about putting a bolt through the top side. Too easy

ILLXJ said:
Use an air chiesel. Much easier. JIM.

ROLMFAO!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Yeah it does!

I used a magnet tip to drop in new bolt with lock washers from the top and bolted them down.

fun fun fun. hehehe

I keep hearing drop the bolts in from the top, does that mean that i have to chop up my floor pan or is there another way to get in there? I really don't want to chop the floor pan.

There is a small opening in the factory mount. you can get maybe a finger in there. The wire trick works. Broke all four bolts on mine and got new ones in that way. Patience.....

Cutting the floor is crazy. THere are much easier fixes than that. You can access those new bolts you dropped in from the bottom, and yes you can even hold them with a wrench...not that big of a deal.

The real trick is fishing the new bolts in the holes. Noticed i said "fishing" . I took fishing line and tied a small peice of paper to in, stuck it in the hole where the bolt needed to come thru, hit it with a shot of compressed air, wa-la the fishing line blows out the other side where you can reach it, slip knot it to the bolt and pull it thru. Did both side in less than 10 minutes AND i still have a floor that is not going to rust out prematurely because i hacked on it.

I cut access patches in my rear floor pan. It was very easy and allowed me to quickly drop in 1/2in bolts to hold my BPE's in as solid as rocks. After I was done I simply threw a lil paint on the rough edges and tack welded the patch in place. After it cooled, I ran a bead of silicone around the edges and turned my carpet down. Your floor pan will not prematurely rust if you have half a brain to paint the bare edges.

Back