• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual radio mounting

azdesertrhino

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and found posts where folks have mounted a CB OR Ham radio but couldn't find a post where someone was running both. I saw posts regarding the Shelf set up from J.C. Whitney but I'm pretty tall and feel like it may get in the way.
I'm getting ready to redo the headliner and took out the overhead console last night. I was wondering if anyone has ever configured a mount for two radios overhead by either eliminating the overhead console and fabricating something else or incorporating the overhead console somehow.
Also, looked at posts regarding laptops and GPS hook-ups. Anyone ever come up with a really good mount that doesn't look like C**P and doesn't cost a small fortune? (Read as, my wife thinks I spend too much money on my toys :gag: . Appreciate the help!

You could use a police-type setup, but the shifter would interfere. I have my CB mounted above the right knee, but I don't really like it there. My Kenwood 2m is mounted to the console on the passenger side. But the wife says it hits her leg off-roading.

The only shelf-it I can find any more is the lighted style, I did crack my fat head on one ,in a friends Cherokee. I'm only 5' 11''

In my trail-rig pre-'90 XJ/MJs, I've put a full-size CB in the dash (where a factory radio would normally be.) and also like w_howey did, mounted to the r/s of the console. Since I have an in-dash CD player in my 88 DD, this is where I have a Cobra 29... with the mic bracket fixed to the side of the radio case. The little space between the mic, seat and where the console narrows makes a so-so coffee cup holder.

Depending on the size of the radio equipment, and how far back you can put the passenger seat, it looks like there 'might be' room for one full-size SSB and one mini-size CB along the passenger side of the console.

I have seen folks mount mini CB radios on the lower dash on either side of the steering column... Made my kneecaps hurt thinking about the possibilities.

One thing to consider is that 'many' radios have their speaker on the bottom of the case. When I had my Radio Shack C29 copy in the dash, I had to put in an remote speaker to hear what was going on.

azdesertrhino said:
I did a search and found posts where folks have mounted a CB OR Ham radio but couldn't find a post where someone was running both. I saw posts regarding the Shelf set up from J.C. Whitney but I'm pretty tall and feel like it may get in the way.
I'm getting ready to redo the headliner and took out the overhead console last night. I was wondering if anyone has ever configured a mount for two radios overhead by either eliminating the overhead console and fabricating something else or incorporating the overhead console somehow.
Also, looked at posts regarding laptops and GPS hook-ups. Anyone ever come up with a really good mount that doesn't look like C**P and doesn't cost a small fortune? (Read as, my wife thinks I spend too much money on my toys :gag: . Appreciate the help!
THis is just what I'm planning on doing in the very near future in my '01 with overhead console. I've seen the Cobra CB with all the controls on the mic, and the little control box mouted out of site Cobra 75 . That looks very tempting. I've also seen it mounted behind the center of the dash. That would work, except for the fact the I've got a Uniden Pro510 sitting in closet. I have not purchased the Dualband radio yet, but I've had my overhead console off for some measureing. Here's my plan. I want to mount the Ham radio just rearward of the computer, with the display facing rearward, or remoted mounted on the side of the overhead console facing me. I think the Uniden will fit just rearward of that, facing forward. The CB will see most use on the trail, and will likely stay on one channel. Hence I really don't need to see it, just hear it, and the speaker will be firing just behind my ear. The Ham radio will see more regular usage, and more changing frequencies, so the display will need to be more in sight. I'm considering either IC-208H (5.5x7.3), or FT7800R (5.5x6.6). They both have detachable faces, but the ICOM's face looks smaller. I think with some cutting of the overhead console, I can make them fit. I have not figured out how I'm going to mount them up there yet. I think I can pull power from the computer wiring, and I'll be running the cable up in the headliner, back to antenna's on the rear hatch. That is the grand plan. I think I'll have some cash for the dual band this spring/summer. Hope to pick one up at a Hamfest for a good deal!
HTH, and if you have any suggestions shoot! I'm fairly new to both Ham radio, and XJ's......learning keeps you young!

If you dont use your a/c its possible to mount a cb. where the center a/c vent is . It would be out of the way appear stock and somewhat hard to steal. I did that to mine, it looks good. Sorry no digital camera.

azdesertrhino said:
I was wondering if anyone has ever configured a mount for two radios overhead by either eliminating the overhead console and fabricating something else or incorporating the overhead console somehow.

I don't have the ham rig in yet, but the current plan is for a Yaesu FT-8900 running a remote head with the transmitter stashed in the overhead console (or possibly under the rear seat if I end up removing the factory amplifier). The CB is in; it's the Cobra-75-in-the-center-console-armrest mount that ChuckstrPT pointed out previously.

azdesertrhino said:
Also, looked at posts regarding laptops and GPS hook-ups. Anyone ever come up with a really good mount that doesn't look like C**P and doesn't cost a small fortune?

You can see photos of how I rigged mine up here. I just used the Garmin marine mount (under $30 on Froogle) and put some faucet washers under it to even up the curvature of the dash. I'd recommend the marine mount over the automotive mount: the only difference between the two is that the automotive mount uses adhesive (which eventually craps out) to stay put, whereas the marine mount screws in. Whenever I eventually get around to installing it on the current XJ I'll also be splicing in power and data to it while the dash is apart.

Last edited:
casm said:
The CB is in; it's the Cobra-75-in-the-center-console-armrest mount that ChuckstrPT pointed out previously.

I've also seen it mounted behind the center of the dash, with the mic plug where one of the 12v plugs is. Very clean. I just can't find the link to it!

ChuckstrPT said:
I've also seen it mounted behind the center of the dash, with the mic plug where one of the 12v plugs is. Very clean. I just can't find the link to it!

Check this thread on ilovejeeps.com - should be what you're looking for.

casm said:
Check this thread on ilovejeeps.com - should be what you're looking for.
THAT was the one! :sunshine: Thanks. I think if I didn't already have one laying around, I'd go that route. I don't think you can get it more out of site, and out of the way!

Thanks for all the input. Some real good ideas. Will be doing some measuring etc this evening. Will post some pix when it's done.

Thanks

ChuckstrPT said:
THAT was the one! :sunshine: Thanks. I think if I didn't already have one laying around, I'd go that route. I don't think you can get it more out of site, and out of the way!

No worries. I actually tried doing that mount first (original thread's here), but didn't have enough clearance between the switches and transmitter on my '01 - this is what led me down the armrest route. If you can live without the lighter or power socket and still get everything to fit it would probably work out fine, but I really wanted to keep both outlets *and* be able to put the dash back together ;)

casm said:
If you can live without the lighter or power socket and still get everything to fit it would probably work out fine, but I really wanted to keep both outlets *and* be able to put the dash back together ;)

That was actually the one thing I didn't like. I do use both 12v outlets fairly regularly. One got the radar detector plugged in full time. The other is used for charging the cell phone regularly. To lose one would not be benefitial!

ChuckstrPT said:
That was actually the one thing I didn't like. I do use both 12v outlets fairly regularly. One got the radar detector plugged in full time. The other is used for charging the cell phone regularly. To lose one would not be benefitial!

Good point... But your second option (and I'd understand if you're not all that keen on it) would be to build an accessory fuse block for the low-draw stuff and repackage whatever supply circuitry is housed in those cigarette lighter adapters they ship with. I'm running through this right now with my GPS power adapter - the sole issue is finding a suitable housing for the components.

John Deere has what looks like a nice 4 or 5 port 12v outlet. It has a three prong connector that looks like you could slip blade connectors on to for a quick and dirty connection or purchase their pre-made pigtails. They have both standard and lighter plug pigtails.

I was looking on their site, but wasn't able to find the info I was looking for (will have to look in the catalog). A bit expensive, but should be pretty heavy duty.

I am planning on putting one of these in my rig unless I can find something better for multiple accessory outlets.

I would definitely go for a detachable head radio for the ham side. I plan to mount the VHF/UHF head to the cage and the 706mkII head somewhere that it can be easily tuned (haven't gotten far enough into the project to decide yet where it will go). Just make sure to mount mount the chasis above the high water line!

Also beware of the potential for alternator wine and other electrical noise on transmit and receive if using the lighter plug for power. All power should go direct to the battery.

casm said:
Good point... But your second option (and I'd understand if you're not all that keen on it) would be to build an accessory fuse block for the low-draw stuff and repackage whatever supply circuitry is housed in those cigarette lighter adapters they ship with. I'm running through this right now with my GPS power adapter - the sole issue is finding a suitable housing for the components.

You kiddies and ur rigs (radios).

r1.jpg

IC-706MKIIG or get a walkie talkie fer ur Bday.

Seriously, it's pricey, but covers every band, all modes.
You simply cannot get a finer mobile rig.
The detachable head is trick, the radio is under my back seat.
Add the Heil Traveler headset, and it's hands free with VOX.

73 de K0IOA/6 /M /MM

Back