• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's see your raised rear shock mounts

Carpenter

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to cut off my rear shock mounts (at the axle) and raise them levle with the axle tube. What have you guys that have done it used for new shock mounts? I'd like some ideas. I'm thinking about cutting up and re-using the stock mounts in some way, good or bad idea?

no pics, wes, but I did it the cheap way and welded on a grade 8 bolt to the axle tube. The only thing I worry about this is axle wrap bending the shock shaft.

SeanP

i used a piece of angle iron and welded one of those studs that you get with new shocks onto it, then welded that to the tube. almost exactly like these from spidertrax, but for way less.
suspension_lsm1.jpg

We normally reuse the stock mount. After cutting them off the axle tube, another radius is cut and they are welded back onto the axle tube even with the bottom of the tube.

I intended to cut up and re-use the stock mount but the stud on the pass. side broke off so I was stuck having to come up with something else. I thought about something like Hunter described but I was pressed for time and running out of steam for the day so I just welded some grade 8 bolts onto the tubes. The bumpstops keep the rear shocks from bottoming out so I'm not too worried about them breaking off, if they do I'll come up with something else. It sure is nice though to finally have those rock grabbers gone. At least this project is one thing I can mark off the never neding list of things I "will get around to one of these days".

I have a whole write up as as diagrams etc on my site. I cut and re-used the old mount so no wleding was done on the tube it's self. They still are a little lower than the axle tube but still higher than the front lower control arm mounts that you would hit first before the rears anyway!
Just go to the how to section of my site.

Smount9.jpg

could you just drill a hole and stick a bolt through it.

Lucas said:
could you just drill a hole and stick a bolt through it.
I presume you are talking about doing that to the stock bracket. It is only the last 2" of the bracket that is vertical so unless you have rotated the axle an awful lot you cannot do it and you would have to weld the head in anyway as it would move all over the place otherwise due to the shock bush. You maybe able the fit a longer bolt and have an extra nut to tighten the bolt to the bracket and then slide the shock over before using another nut. I do not like using a standard bolt anyway as the thread will bite into the bush unlike the shock mount one which has no thread inside the bush as it stepped up from the threaded section at the end. This also allows the nut still to be done tight without crushing the shock bush. You also have to take into account the distance from the axle tube back to the mount so that the shock is kept inline with the top mount.

Goatman said:
We normally reuse the stock mount. After cutting them off the axle tube, another radius is cut and they are welded back onto the axle tube even with the bottom of the tube.

Ditto, that's what I did. works like a champ

Back