• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cb mounting

Hi Guys. I just bought a 94 Sport 4dr. and already love it.
Can anyone give me some advice on where is the best place to install a cb.
I tried it under the steering wheel, but found that when i took my foot from the gas to the brake, i was always knocking the radio. Any advice would be much appreciated.

This works well for me

faeed960.jpg

congrats on the new-to-you XJ..... i mounted my CB onn the passenger side of the center console.. basically the passenger's left knee would rest against it.. i angled it a little backward so the face panel is facing me.. easy reach, out of the way of the shifter.. see it at-a-glance.... thats the best place i found..
hey thats a sweet set up ROCK.....
mike

Thanks Mike. The CB is one of the little ones from wal mart and it fit perfectly. The fan is for my kids. It oscillates so all three get air. If I aim the A/C vent at the fan, the cool air gets shot out to them.

I've got a medium sized Miland CB (the one with 10 weatherband channels) and I used 2 strips of velcro and put it on top of the dash above the factory radio. It hasn't moved in 4 years of wheeling.

I have a small older Midland that I mounted under the passenger seat. It mounts real nice on the plastic cover for the power seats. Where do you plan on mounting the antenna? I’ve heard that the one that mounts on the hood with a short whip (I think Quadra Tec sells them) isn’t very secure and tends to come loose. Mine is located on the factory style external spare tire mount. I had a 4’ whip, but I had a problem getting any type of range out of it. I went to a 20’ whip and it works like a champ now.

Terry

I also mounted mine on the passenger's side of the center console - works well there.
I bought a SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) meter from radio shack and spent half a day trying to find the best spot for the antenna. I tried spots all over the Jeep. I tried on the back, on the passenger's side opposite of the gas door. I tried on the edge of the hood. There were two places that I got the best signal: One was on the top dead center of the roof, and the other was on top of the ARB bull bar. I think that being close to the side of the vehicle caused too much interference. Note: I was using a Wilson 4ft. swr adjustable silver load antenna.

Dave Buckland said:
Hi Guys. I just bought a 94 Sport 4dr. and already love it.
Can anyone give me some advice on where is the best place to install a cb.

Hey Dave, Congrats on the XJ.
I have a suggestion, and i seem to be the only one around that has this.

Shelf-It works great for me. I got the deluxe model, not sure why... but I did..lol. I have it sitting right on the shelf...the back is open for the wires. the deluxe model has a unit in the center that has a few storgaes trays and 2 12V cig lighters in the back.
Hope this helps. If you are really tall.. this may not be the best idea. It does come down about 2" from where the visors mount. I'm 5'9 and it doesn't block my view. but my father in law in 6'4 and says its kinda low for him... so..

Good Luck

Hey, I have my cb mounted on the passenger side too, and am just using a crappy magnet mount antenna to get between trucks on the trial, but I have my new bumper on the way and I am looking to put a whip on it. Is that gonna cause interference being close to the truck? It's from 4x4custom and will have the swing away tire carrier. I don't want to keep the antenna on the roof and want to put it in a permanent place. Let me know what you guys think or from experience. Thanks
Tylor

I went to a 20’ whip and it works like a champ now.

I don't suppose people behind you on the highway mind picking dead birds out of their grills. Man, that's good revenge for the damn things pooping on your windshield, huh?

First off the absolute center of your roof is going to be the best place you can put an antenna. The reason for this is that a CB antenna isn't creating the full wave needed to transmit. What a normal CB antenna does is creates a 1/4 of the wave and uses your roof to make another 1/4 by reflecting. If dead center on your roof you'll
A) be as high as you can get it and
B) will radiate equally(ok almost) in all directions.

Now if you mount the antenna below the roof line of your Jeep you'll be very directional(ie. you will transmit and recieve stronger in one direction). Also you'll get interference from yourself. What happens there is when you transmit, the signal bounces of of your vehicle and is received by your antenna which for obvious reasons is VERY detrimental to performance. If you're only going to use it on a trail with a group of ppl who are very close you'd be fine(and in my opinion that's about all a CB is good for) but if you want to be able to talk to someone more than a mile or 2 away this setup will be VERY ineffective.

Sorry for the long post(and for writing this with lots of info that is known to most).
73 and enjoy the airwaves
KC8SHV
Johnny K

I mounted mine (radio shack cheapie) on the passenger side of the center console and then mounted the antena (wilson 4') to my cargo rack. I ran the coax through the firewall, under the jeep, then alongside the back door. I get great transmit and recieve but would perfer a better way to run the coax. but hey, it works!!!

bubbadabulldawg said:
Is the roof console a factory piece or is it aftermarket and if it is aftermarket who made it. Thanks
It came factory. Mine's a '92 un-limited. But I have no idea what years they came in. I just know there are alot of 'em, seen 'em in junk yards.

Back