• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Radio mounting...

i973eat1

NAXJA Forum User
I got a CB radio for my XJ... now I am wondering where to mount this bad boy... I was hoping that some of yall would share where you put yours, and how you made it work in that spot...
Thanks!

Year of heep will help too.
But I have a Renix with a 97+ console and I have mine mounted to the driver side of the center console near the 4wd shifter. I got mine 2nd hand with no mounting bracket so I just mounted how I could.
Some stick it up top above the rear view mirror. If it's small enough, and you have an OHC, have seen some mount in one of the "holes" there as well.
I guess anywhere that works for you.

'99 - mounted above rear view (no OHC). Power ran through headliner, down passenger a pillar, back under dash and piggybacked off of cigarette lighter. Antenna is mag mount on roof. I already had a hole / grommet in the roof above the rear view, so cable is run down the roof to antenna and excess coiled up in headliner.

I just mounted a small Cobra below the glove compartment, to the left side of it. I also made it removable with quick connects. Takes minimal space and you can open the glove compartment...

'99 - mounted above rear view (no OHC). Power ran through headliner, down passenger a pillar, back under dash and piggybacked off of cigarette lighter. Antenna is mag mount on roof. I already had a hole / grommet in the roof above the rear view, so cable is run down the roof to antenna and excess coiled up in headliner.

Thats where I was thinking about mounting mine. How did you mount it up there? I like the idea of running the wires through the headliner too.

My Heep is a 99', sorry about that.

Use the sun visor clips as mounting points. Fab up a bracket that fits between the two. I don't have a pic of mine handy but a Cobra 19 fits perfectly.

Mounted mine on the passenger side of the center console. Very convenient, and no complaints from the passenger. Mine's a '98 (the Jeep, not the passenger).

Edit: found a picture.

IMG_5413.jpg

Last edited:
I remember this being covered a few times recently (CB and Ham). I'd check out area under this thread. It suggests like threads. Also a suggestion to try the Search feature. You need 3 characters so something like CB Radio or Radio may work.

I've used 2 places. The small Uniden I mounted on the pass side of the console like above. The other is one of those all in one Cobra units; I put the terminal portion on a plate under the seat.

Last edited:
My friend and I mounted ours kind of above the passengers head at the back of the seat. It sounds weird but it works and even with me at 6ft+ I have no issues sitting in the pass seat.

Caligolds picture pretty much nails my mounting - just used some self tappers through the headliner into the roof (there's 2 separate layers of metal up there, so it's not like you're gonna poke through the roof) to mount the CB bracket. I didn't use an additional piece of aluminum (or whatever) mounted via the 2 visor screws as I didn't see the need. You will undo those screws to have space to run wiring, but that's all.

My only problem that Ive run into so far is when Im on bumpy roads, unless I have the mic cable draped behind the mirror and it has a little tension, the mic tends to pop out of it's clip..

I went for a stock look and mounted it right under my radio. Changed 1.5 DIN stock radio to standard single size... and that gave me just enough room to mount the CB under it (with a little trimming of the trim panel).

The bracket was made from the exhaust heat shield.

201108-Jeep001_zps2892231c.jpg

201108-Jeep011_zps2067d70d.jpg

201108-Jeep012_zps23e6dc28.jpg

201108-Jeep021_zps255e5f7d.jpg

I went for a stock look and mounted it right under my radio. Changed 1.5 DIN stock radio to standard single size... and that gave me just enough room to mount the CB under it (with a little trimming of the trim panel).

The bracket was made from the exhaust heat shield.

201108-Jeep001_zps2892231c.jpg

201108-Jeep011_zps2067d70d.jpg

201108-Jeep012_zps23e6dc28.jpg

201108-Jeep021_zps255e5f7d.jpg

That's pretty slick! Where do you hang your mike?

:eek:

don't ask him that.

Haha... that threw me off for a second.

That's pretty slick! Where do you hang your mike?

Thanks!

I had the little hanger that came with the CB mounted off to the left, kind of next to/behind the steering wheel... but didn't like that position.

Now I usually just wrap it around the shifter once and set it on the center console. It's in easier arms reach that way. I keep it in the center console storage box when I'm not using it.

Last edited:
Installed a CB this past week. Selected a base Uniden model, small and inexpensive. Didn't want to drill and cut into trim, and wanted to be able to remove the radio and its wiring.

Tricky, but found out the connectors for the cig lighter/power outlet haven't changed, so the Wrangler JK adapter with a bridge/bypass connects perfectly, and leaves a pair of +/- wires with a fuse, to connect the radio.

71sc8sb47HL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Added a SAE connector to that, so I could unplug the radio. Makes it easy to connect to a standard cig lighter adapter with an SAE connector, too.

510pBnKFJJL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

For bracket, and avoiding drilling, but keeping radio secure (instead of simply shoving it between seat and console), got a 3" wide zinc alloy ribbon with holes for bolts and retainers, etc. Construction materials aisle of any hardware store, single digit $. Cut to length, bent to shape, curved a lip and left a tab. The curved lip hooks to the bottom edge of the console trim, the tab on the end of the L-shape inserts between console and the shifter bezel. Not bad. Nothing more complex than a vise and an oscillating tool,
plus a rattle can.

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Fairly happy about result.

Back