• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock mounts and mini skids

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
ok.... I probably should do a wrietup about htis as I always get on people's case for not giving me any writeups for the site.... but this will have to do for now. About a month ago I went ot Ed Stevens' place to have him help me do the rear shockmounts and weld on mini skids (both products of ORGS MFG (thanks Mark :) ). In any case, the rear shock mounts are not as hard to do as I thought (except for the welding part).
I have cut the old mounts of with a band saw and left just enough of them so that they act as skids for the ubolts (the old mounts make nice tuning forks now :D). Then Ed dug up two old shocks that he had and we attached them on the top and used them to setup the spot where the new ones should go on. After tacking the new mounts on (learned something interesting then: make sure that you use a fresh welding rod :D) the mounts were welded on. Overall I think that I gained almost 2.5" of downward movement.

The front minskids are also not that hard to do, except no matter what we did we couldn't line up the top of the miniskind to the axle tube (They should be welded there). In any case, sometime down the road I will hang an appropriately cut piece of angle iron in there and weld it all together...

and finally here are the pics

rockcralwinxj said:
Was that second picture of the shock mount an action shot?:D
Yup.... it was action: XJ was still while I dove for the ground :D (actually I had the camer on the wrong setting.. but it doesn't look THAT bad :D)

Kejtar

Back