NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Colorado Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Colorado Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2018, 16:44
NAXJA Member

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
Scored a new Yukon Zip locker for the D30 for $575...score.

All I have left to source is 4.10's and install kit.

Then I'll have pretty much everything to polish the living hell out of this D30
I happen to have a master install kit and a 4.10 gear set collecting dust....

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Old February 12th, 2018, 19:16
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-bow View Post
I happen to have a master install kit and a 4.10 gear set collecting dust....

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Oh really?

PM Incoming
Old February 12th, 2018, 20:51
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
Yeah, the coolant filter setup is nice. Probably need to replace the first one I put in.

Mine probably needs new injectors at some point. Was 6 quarts low when I went to get emissions apparently...and it doesn't leak any oil.

So, most likely going in with the fuel, which would explain it being a b*tch to start in the cold (if it even will) without it being plugged in. I can crank and crank until the batteries are dead...nadda.

Ugh...just another $2500.
Is your blow by bad? Could be sucking up crank case oil. Those 7.3s always seem to drink some oil in cold weather.

I still believe one of the best things you can do for a 7.3/6.0 isadd a good bypass oil filter like amsoil. It does a lot for helping the high pressure pump and injectors. And they can be changed every other oil change. I personally wouldn't go more than. 3-4000 on intervals either.

And always use the motorcraft glow plugs. Aftermarket ones never get as hot.
Old February 12th, 2018, 23:43
NAXJA Member

Wondering just how much better a set of Sticky trepador of tsl 43sx Sticky would grab smooth rocks and wet rock vs a pitbull rocker. My 42s are like new but I am considering the sticky rubbers anyway .
Old February 13th, 2018, 07:28
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
Is your blow by bad? Could be sucking up crank case oil. Those 7.3s always seem to drink some oil in cold weather.

I still believe one of the best things you can do for a 7.3/6.0 isadd a good bypass oil filter like amsoil. It does a lot for helping the high pressure pump and injectors. And they can be changed every other oil change. I personally wouldn't go more than. 3-4000 on intervals either.

The FSM says every 5-7K for an oil change and that's with 15/40 dinosaur oil.

I've got the Amsoil bypass filter on mine. They say to replace it (the bypass filter) every 70,000 miles or 2 years. I change my oil once a year (about 10-12K) and use Rotella T6 Synthetic. My main oil filter gets replaced at the same time (I only use WIX filters) and the bypass filter every other year. With that bypass filter my oil is still gold colored after 5,000 miles.

I haven't had to do glow plugs yet, but you can get a lot of those parts from International for cheaper. Remember, its basically a hopped up T444E. That's what I did on my previous 1996 F250.

Last edited by DutchVDub; February 13th, 2018 at 07:40.
Old February 13th, 2018, 09:09
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post

Yeah, I definitely get some blow by. I originally did the CCV vent mod to atmoshpere, with a collector that could be drained in the back. Thing was, it would still drip out the end, out the filter, so I put it back.

I know some of that oil it sitting in the bottom of my intercooler (wish they made put in a drain for those!)

Bypass filter...hmmm...in all my mods didn't see something like that. Not too hard, but nothing ground breakingly different.

Glowplugs are Motorcraft ZD-11's (the good ones), and I've got the upgraded Stancor Relay.
Old February 13th, 2018, 10:17
NAXJA Member

The bypass filter is just nice because it really helps keep the oil clean. I hit the easy button and got a kit that uses an Amsoil filter. I kind of wish I'd pieced it together though. Now I'm stuck using Amsoil filters as they use a Dodge oil filter thread pitch for the filter head and they're the only ones making bypass filters with that thread. If I'd pieced it together myself I could use a generic Baldwin filter head and get much cheaper filters. The Amsoil bypass filter is 45-50$, I did find a Luberfiner filter that is the same but that one is even more expensive.

I might just order a Baldwin filter head for it and see if I can make the hoses and bracket from my kit still.
Old February 13th, 2018, 17:55
NAXJA Member

It's not the oil in the Ford's oil pan that is most important, but rather the flat bed she rides on.
Old February 13th, 2018, 19:00
NAXJA Member

Old February 13th, 2018, 20:57
NAXJA Member

End of Watch: MC1, 1312 & 0369....... Rest easy brothers, we've got it from here. -----
Old February 15th, 2018, 06:19
NAXJA Member

Pull into the yard this morning you go from heading west to making a sharp 90 left facing North pulling into the guard shack, well I do the usual keeping the left long enough for the trailer to follow then cut back right then back straight...lol...this is basic trailer tracking , but apparently it's suspicious driving to out guard shack and warranted a driver safety check...lol... apparently our guard shack does not see this driving very often , but then again many of our fleets power units have crushed cab extenders , so it's not like a lot of the drivers the guard shack sees are even aware of their trailers position let alone care about being lined up straight.

Last edited by 1-tonxj; February 15th, 2018 at 06:23.
Old February 15th, 2018, 12:47
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-tonxj View Post
Pull into the yard this morning you go from heading west to making a sharp 90 left facing North pulling into the guard shack, well I do the usual keeping the left long enough for the trailer to follow then cut back right then back straight...lol...this is basic trailer tracking , but apparently it's suspicious driving to out guard shack and warranted a driver safety check...lol... apparently our guard shack does not see this driving very often , but then again many of our fleets power units have crushed cab extenders , so it's not like a lot of the drivers the guard shack sees are even aware of their trailers position let alone care about being lined up straight.
HAHA! Sounds about right. We pulled cab extenders off all our 18's because of this reason. Looks a little strange with a short sleeper and no cab extenders, but saves the money.
Old February 15th, 2018, 15:47
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle_6981 View Post
HAHA! Sounds about right. We pulled cab extenders off all our 18's because of this reason. Looks a little strange with a short sleeper and no cab extenders, but saves the money.
In 13 years I've never touched a trailer to my cab ... I like my equipment to look like I'm a skilled driver ...lol... to the average person it's a deny but other drivers know you ran into yourself ...lol
Old February 16th, 2018, 20:40
NAXJA Forum User

[QUOTE=planefixer;246563609]YEEEEEEEHAAAWWWWW!!!

Old February 16th, 2018, 20:44
NAXJA Forum User

How come I cant edit my damn posts any more?

Mods delete the bald dude post please.