NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Tow Rigs and Trailers
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Tow Rigs and Trailers Hey, not all of our Jeeps are great on the highway. Post here for tech related to getting your XJ to the trailhead.

Old December 15th, 2017, 04:37
NAXJA Member

Flat tow... lights

Searched but can't locate an answer I flat tow my 2000 Cherokee behind my F250 that has slide-in camper. I am being "Told" that I can get a wiring harness that is plug and play. Currently I have Harbor Freight magnet mount lights for brakes and turn signal on towed Jeep. Just plugs into trailer plug on Truck. Works fine but I sometimes forget to put them on and even to take them off the Jeep.

Anybody know about a plug and play that allows me to just use the XJ's lights?

Thanks...
Old December 19th, 2017, 09:41
Degenerate Jeeper

Re: Flat tow... lights

This isn't 100 percent plug 'n play, but it doesn't look terribly complicated to install and may meet your needs.

https://www.etrailer.com/tbwiring-20...p_Cherokee.htm
Old December 20th, 2017, 18:39
NAXJA Member #1310

This is what I did for towing lights.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/...7603323570942/
There have worked well for the last 14 years and 85,000 miles of flat towing.
01 Sport, 4.6L Russ Pottenger. stroker, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, Towing baseplate
Old January 12th, 2018, 08:58
NAXJA Member

I have the Roadmaster Diode towing kit on my 99 Cherokee. So far no issues. When you are done there is no feedback to existing wiring and no extra lights to hook up.
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport - 4.0L/AW4/242 T/C, Dana 30/Dana 44, ARB lockers + compressor with OBA, 4.11 Spicer Gears, Dana 44 modified for ABS and it works, 4 inch OME/DPG Hybrid Lift, 31-10.50 BFG AT on Jeep Ravine wheels, Tom Woods SYE and driveshaft, Adjustable JKS lower control arms. Armor: Rigidco front bumper with tow bar mounts, Driving lights, and Fog lights, Rigid D2 LED Lights, Detours Slimline rear Bumper with tire carrier, JCR stage 3 sliders, transfer case and fuel tank skids
Old February 2nd, 2018, 22:43
NAXJA Forum User

I just finished doing a diode job on my '98, purchased a 20 pack of 15 amp diodes for $6.00 and got busy.

I pulled a 16/3 s.o cord from the engine bay along the right inside to the right rear T/L area the ran a span across to the left side light.

I used a total of 13 diodes, 9 would have made due but I wanted to have both the brake and turn lights on the Heep to come on together when the brake / turn on the tow vehicle was activated. (4 wire from tow vehicle)

Took about 4 hours to complete with so interruption breaks, total cost $6.00, already have the cord and front connector in my electrical collection.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 05:02
NAXJA Member

DKtool... that sounds like a nice setup but don't understand how you use / mount just diodes? I'd love more explanation or pictures. Is it activated by the trailer connector on tow vehicle?
Old February 3rd, 2018, 10:45
NAXJA Forum User

Spliced in the diodes as needed in the leads between the taillights and their plug in connection behind the rear side panels. All additions made inside the vehicle.

I miss-spoke previously regarding diode quantity, I used a total of 11

I can draw up a schematic and post it here when I have time, as of now it's filed away in my head.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 12:23
NAXJA Forum User

I purged my head, here's a schematic;

Old February 3rd, 2018, 16:04
The 97 Club

Don't know if you want to buy one but this is the lace i have bought all of mine. i have had 3 different saturns that has been towed behind my motorhome.
https://www.etrailer.com/tbwiring-20...p_Cherokee.htm

Hope this helps