• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockup override switch. As in prevention.

should have just taken the exit ramp and avoided this very unhelpful post.

I know you think we are just a bunch of dumb a-holes but you have received advice from some of the most knowledgeable and experienced members in the forum.
It's your choice to ignore it.
There are other Cherokee forums, why don't you try asking the same questions on them and see if you get a 'better' response.

Good luck with your project.

Some points had been made and I made it clear it was of no concern. Then my intelligence was attacked. All along not being helpful to the strange problem i was encountering that prompted me to try here for insight in the first place. Sorry i wasted my time.

You never really introduced the strange problem you were having, you asked us about the strange and potentially unsafe thing you were trying to do and told us no when we suggested another way.

I didn't see anyone attacking your intelligence but sure thing neighbor, do what you want.

Yes i did. Strange? Ya maybe Potentially insafe? not anymore than removing swaybars.
One person told of another way of doing what i wanted to do but that method trips the CEL. I wanted to mimic a brake pedal press to tell the computer to unlock. Doing what i want and not tripping the CEL.

You never said the issue, you said you were trying to eliminate lockup on command, which is not a problem you are trying to solve nor anything there is any real reason to do. But if you're shorting the brake switch and its still locking up, you are creating a situation that could become unsafe yes.

And yes removing swaybars is pretty unsafe too. There was a time when I thought that might be acceptable but not anymore.

Either way you've decided that you want to do this and don't want to say why (where we might help you with the actual problem) so go ahead and do it, but don't sit here and tell us we're attacking you.

"When the trans goes into lockup i flip my switch and the trans drops out of locked like I wanted. But after a few seconds goes back into lockup. wtf?"

"I think you should educate yourself more on the AW4"
"You are most definitely on the wrong path here in forcing your converter to stay unlocked"

Sorry find that insulting

There is a difference between someone insulting you and you taking insult to something.

You can find it insulting all you want, but that's on you not me nor the rest of us.

Good luck with your project.

I wish there was an automatic way to get mine to lock up MORE like just about any modern transmission, as in any time it's not shifting or stopped? :D

I bought a controller about 15 years ago that wires in and allows you to select the gear you want (bypass the combo 1/2 gear). It has a switch that disables the Torque Converter. I use it often when wheeling. Without it and wheeling in 2nd if you come to a stop it would kill the engine. So I leave it off unless I'm coming down a steep decent (or I'm not using the selector). Works great. The install directions might be floating around where you can see how it disables the TC.

I bought a controller about 15 years ago that wires in and allows you to select the gear you want (bypass the combo 1/2 gear). It has a switch that disables the Torque Converter. I use it often when wheeling. Without it and wheeling in 2nd if you come to a stop it would kill the engine. So I leave it off unless I'm coming down a steep decent (or I'm not using the selector). Works great. The install directions might be floating around where you can see how it disables the TC.

I do remember that switch you are referring to. It was developed in 2005. I had one on my 1994 XJ. I ran it for a few months before removing it and giving it to someone here on the board. The person who made it went MIA after awhile. That was my second attempt at trying to control the AW4. It may have been beneficial to those who are into crawling but not so good for a DD.

I prefer to simply move the gear lever to the selection I want the AW4 to stay in. Most of my drive have been in Florida, and South Texas. No manual shifting is not required.

personaly i would be looking to control the trigger to the lock up solenoid .
if you dont want a CEL then a STDP switch to simultaneously brake the connection to the TC lock solenoid and MAKE a connection to a dummy load/ emulator that "looks" to the TCM like its a hooked up to a correctly functioning TC lock solenoid.
god luck with it.

Back