• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock xj rear driveshaft -- what is adequate coverage of slip yoke splines

bpatto10

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I have a 1996 XJ wuth 8.25 axle and 231J transfer case. After putting in Dorman heavy duty springs, my rear has an unintended 2" lift. I had to have the rear axle shimmed to align the pinion angle and transfer case angles.

The guy who did the work was concerned about the amount of spline engagement on the slip yoke. I took off the boot and driveshaft and measured 3" of spline lenghth, and 2" of spline coverage with the driveshaft installed, leaving 1" of splines showing bare.

I have read on various forums that switching in a Dana 35 driveshaft will give you and extra inch over the 8.25 driveshaft, which is a feasible option if needed.

What is the typical spline coverage for a stock XJ? Is 2" adequate or should I try to get all 3" covered?

Thanks in advance

Youll be fine. XJs came from the factory with those heavier weight springs. Called the Upcountry package. They didnt change drive shafts between the models.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It's fine as is. I put a three inch lift on my 1998 and drove for almost 100,000 miles with the stock driveshafts.

Back