• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Booster Upgrade

Also, ABS does not work. Other than allowing the brakes to lock up, this wouldn't affect the brakes in other ways, right?

Bedding. Not bleeding.

Duh. I didn't follow any particular procedures, but after a brake job I try to take it easy for a few miles before I make any hard stops.

Both the front rotors and rear drums were almost new. I replaced the front pads with ceramic ones because of the huge amounts of brake dust the old pads were generating. There was no need to turn or replace the rotors.

In the rear, new shoes, cylinders, wheel bearings, seals, hardware...

Thanks.

Glad this came up...i really gotta get better brakes for my 91 and wanna swap in something better. Especially since im about to upgrade to 33s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Man I'm glad I saw this right after joining. I've currently got an 87 that the booster is about shot. Has a fat vacuum leak ( brakes still work though) so I think instead of replacing with factory parts, it'd be a good time to upgrade.

WJ versus 95 to 96 XJ booster

Actually, the WJ booster is in some ways easier than the 95 to 96 XJ.

I've done both.

XJ, you don't have to mess with the firewall. No big deal anyway.
But, you have to move the washer reservoir. And, once the original booster comes out, the bracket inside the cab moves and makes it a bear to install the new booster.

WJ you have to bend or cut the firewall lip, but don't move the washer bottle.
As an added bonus, the mounting studs of the WJ booster are a bit smaller and it's easier to get in.
Another bonus with the WJ is that it has FLEXIBLE lines from the master cylinder that make putting things together MUCH easier.

And, WJ boosters are newer and easier to find…..

Got some questions

1... For my 1990 XJ, which year WJ booster is used for this upgrade?

2... given I have rear discs on my XJ ( Ford Explorer disc) do I keep my proportioning valve, eliminate the valve, or use a WJ valve, or...?

3... Is the WJ master used with this conversion?

thanks

Hi all,
I too would like to make the modification to the brakes of
1990 XJ Renix with 2000 WJ brake booster & mc,
but I would kindly like to know the part number of wj flexible lines to prop valve, and
if perhaps it is better to fit the following spare parts:

BLA-G360 AGS

BLA-R340 AGS -

BLF-31B AGS -

BLF-33B AGS
Thank you

Giacomo

Also do you think i will have to move the bootle washer ?
thank you

Giacomo
20210715_130959.jpg

No. But you may have to cut the lip on the firewall a bit.

Simple to do. I have photos but I can't post them here. Give me an email address and I'll send them to you.

As for those lines, they should be available from the dealer.

Hi all,
nobody knows the part number of the 2 flexi lines ( of WJ mc ) to proportioning valve ?
thank you

Giacomo

Hey, I just went through this.

I used these to convert the bubble flared metric fittings on the WJ MC to standard 3/16 24 inverted.
BLA-O380
BLA-B312
BLU-3 ( two of these )

Then I made lines from the BLU-3's to the prop valve. You can purchase the two prop valve fittings on the AGS site as well.

You will need an inverted double flare tool. Do not use the rented ones as they are trash. Purchase the Napa SER 161A.

You could also purchase just the fittings and run a new lines, but since one of mine was frozen in the prop valve I had no choice.

I also added the 1/4 inch spacer in between the booster and the firewall. My pedal is 4.5 inches from the floor. It was 5 inches from the floor with the old booster. So the space is not required.

It will lock up the front tires now and feels safer so it's def worth the headache.

Hope this helps.

Back