• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1/4 Mile times.

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 2 door/AX-15. I was thinking about buying a car to go fast, but then figured I already have this, and know all about strokers. So I fugred why not just make this fast?

So my question is does anyone know about 1/4 mile times for XJ's with strokers? I've looked all over the entire internet (found some REALLY screwed up people) but haven't found anything.

Thanks for any info, all appreciated.

Sorry one last thing. Really looking more for stock XJ's with BIG HP numbers. Not really XJ's that have been stripped to bare metal and chopped and hacked. However post those too please :)

XJ's can be made fast. But I think its easier to buy a car that is already fast. I drove my parents Mercedes SL500 today and that thing hauls ass.

It's a 5.0 V8 with like 315 hp stock.

It will whip ALL but the best blown and sprayed XJ strokers.

Don't get me wrong, Jeeps are great and they repond well to mods, but you have to know when to quit. Its just my opinion.

Last edited:
j99xj said:
XJ's can be made fast. But I think its easier to buy a car that is already fast. I drove my parents Mercedes SL500 today and that thing hauls ass.

It's a 5.0 V8 with like 315 hp stock. It will whip ALL but the best blown and sprayed XJ strokers.
A new sl500 is also $80-$100k. A new xj might have went for 25K...so stick the extra 75K into the xj and then see which one gets whipped.

:dunno:

MogifiedXJ said:
A new sl500 is also $80-$100k. A new xj might have went for 25K...so stick the extra 75K into the xj and then see which one gets whipped.

:dunno:

My parents "new to them" SL500 is a 1997. And they paid way less than 25K for it off ebay because it has high miles............but runs like a bat out of hell I must say. It will own my XJ, even though I think my 4.0 has slightly more torque below 2000 rpms. But after 2000 rpms that DOHC Mercedes V8 is FAST, FAST, FAST with close to perfect gear ratios (as you would expect for a $90,000 car new) and tops out at 150 mph.

Last edited:
dallas xjs said:
spoken like a true xj'er...

I won't disagree that if you put 75K into an XJ it would probably be a sub 10 second Jeep easily.

But why would anyone do that? It's a Jeep. Use it as such. The only reason I've done performance mods is to increase driveability a tad, not build a race car.

I love XJ's to death but its foolish to make them into more than just a torquey little truck that can beat stock Mustangs, some older stock Camaros, and 75% of the rice burners out there.

Anyone who has driven a real sports car will agree with me.

Last edited:
That thread just tells you how fast people have gone, and nothing about strokers?

Also Mercedes sucks.

Still need times :( Need to know if this is going to be worth the effort or not before I decide to actually do it.

Vanquish said:
Also Mercedes sucks.

Anyone whos driven one wouldn't say that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a red blooded, gun toting, conservative Christian American that generally prefers domestic cars over imports, but the Germans are definitely not fools when it comes to high performance cars.

Dr. Dyno ran a mid to high 14 second pass in his stroker. Its outlined on his page. He stripped unnecessary weight and ran with 1/4 tank of fuel.

I like the idea of starting with a 4.0. Its the most powerful naturally-aspirated pushrod inline six that is easily available today. There are plenty of performance mods to make it go. The drag coefficient of the body is not the worst there is and they are comparably light to other 'hot rod' choices out there right now. I bet a 2wd model could be whittled down to under 3000lbs somewhat easily.

Plus it would be fun to smoke ricers in a woody-panelled limited with whitewalls. Especially if you ran 12's...

:D

Beej said:
... The drag coefficient of the body is not the worst there is ...
you're including 60's era Mack trucks and school buses???

Beej said:
Dr. Dyno ran a mid to high 14 second pass in his stroker. Its outlined on his page. He stripped unnecessary weight and ran with 1/4 tank of fuel.

I did a [email protected] with my '92 XJ 4.6L stroker in "race trim" (<1/4 tank of gas, spare wheel removed, rear seat removed, front passenger seat removed, jack/handle removed, floor mats/ashtrays/glovebox lid removed for 170lb weight saving). You'll find all the details here:

http://www.dragtruk.com/ENTRIES/A9DFB5LA1GZW.html

In full street trim (1/2 tank of gas, all of the other items mentioned in place), I did a [email protected].

My 3500 lb 401/AW4/2WD MJ ran a 12.6 at 112 last year. The track is at 4000 feet. The AW4 had had it at that point and its 5000 rpm forced redline and glacial shifts cost some time, I'm sure.

Back