• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about Drive Shaft and lift???pics..plz help

Mgonzo700

NAXJA Forum User
Ok hi guys I just picked up this XJ about a week ago, its a 96 with 200k miles. The jeep has a 3 inch lift but im not sure what kind of lift it is and if its any good for trail use....it just looks like a 3 inch block under the rear leafs. Ok and yesterday I went and took off the muffler (straight piped) and the guy who did it told me that the driveshaft I believe has to much of an angle. He told me that the angle was bad and that I could mess up the jeep If I keep on driving it like that. Is there anything I can do myself to correct that....plz any advice will be appreciated.

Jeep003.jpg
[/IMG]

Jeep001.jpg
[/IMG]

Jeep002.jpg
[/IMG]

Jeep004.jpg
[/IMG]

Jeep005.jpg
[/IMG]

Jeep006.jpg
[/IMG]

Jeep008.jpg
[/IMG]

You can either put in an angle shim under the leaf springs or grind the block to a 4 degree offset. Usually a 3" lift consists of an add a leaf and a longer shackle. The longer shackle usually gives the necessary offset of the leaf spring for 3" lift so you don't need to do anything else to it, anything higher and shims are a must.

Ok thanks so shims.....so what I just loosen up the u-bolts and slide it under...and does the thicker part of the shim go towards the front or the rear?? Sorry if it sounds stupid im new to this ...

I would buy them from RE, buying cheap stuff is a bad idea in the long run. To install them you need to remove the shocks and u bolts then remove the center pin holding the leaf pack together. I would recommend putting two clamps to keep the springs together before you start, it's just easier and safer. Put the shim and new pin in, treaded end facing up, and small end facing forward. Tighten the pin making sure everything stays straight and lined up. I would recommend buying new u- bolts you'll need to measure yours as they will be longer than stock with those 3" blocks in there. I say this because they usually get messed during removal and they're supposed to be replaced everything they are removed but that's up to you

Back