• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ tent

Scott Hayden

NAXJA Member #1241
looking for the tent that fits on the back of the machine with the tailgate open. Is not the regular tent with an opening for a tailgate machine, the unit fits over the open tailgate, hooks onto the rack on top and hangs down to the ground with a zipper door in the back, allowing you to sleep in the machine while keeping most of mother nature out. A firm in Boulder Co once made them, are there any still being made?

Watch ebay every now and then 1 comes on there for sale.I don't know if they are still made or not.

I've seen them several times on e-bay. Usually NIB. Some city slicker bought the jeep and the tent came with it. Must have been a promo they were running at one time.

www.sportsmansguide.com

91885_ts.jpg

Last edited:
DVFall04007.jpg

I rigged up this little "shelter" for my XJ after spending one too many nights in a desert windstorm with my tent flapping and hitting me in the face while trying to sleep! I made a two foot bed extention which pins to the bumper and has adjustable support legs. The cover is heavy vinyl and snaps to the body and hatch. It only takes a couple of minutes to set up and allows for a Queen mattress to fit inside. It keeps the wind out, which is what I was trying to do. FD.

Farmer Dean said:
DVFall04007.jpg

I rigged up this little "shelter" for my XJ after spending one too many nights in a desert windstorm with my tent flapping and hitting me in the face while trying to sleep! I made a two foot bed extention which pins to the bumper and has adjustable support legs. The cover is heavy vinyl and snaps to the body and hatch. It only takes a couple of minutes to set up and allows for a Queen mattress to fit inside. It keeps the wind out, which is what I was trying to do. FD.

I dunno , but that picture reminds me of times at 29 Palms! I don't know if I could bring myself to "camp" there for fun!

THeres just something about the Pennsylvania woods!

That site is overlooking the Panamint Valley, which is right next to Death Valley. I'm camped at the base of the Panamint Mountains. From there (close to sea-level) you can wheel up to about 8000 feet. Lots of great ghost towns and gold mining sites to explore, shafts, tramways, etc. If you like some rugged wheeling and solitude it's a great place. I only go in the Spring and Fall so temps are just right. FD.

Back in 94 I took this brand new leather int luxury package XJ out to Death Valley, drove the piss out of it, broke down 10 miles from no-where. The joys of rental cars...

Back