• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Right Hand Drive Cherokee

binks off road

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching this forever and I guess I'm not searching well enough, because I can't find not one. Maybe someone here could help or better yet post pictures. My question is How does the front suspesion work? I'm certain everything is just backwards, but how does the trackbar work. Where does it mount? or by some freak way does it all stay the same and just use some weird steering set up sorry no real tech here but I'd love to have this answered or even better yet see a picture of one

Ask gojeep (he's from Australia). There was a guy who had (I think) 3 96 XJ's that were imported and RHD. He was wanting something like 7k per or something.

We had a couple of these come through the dealer I used to work at. I'm pretty sure they just had the strg. box on the right, and all the strg. was basically a mirror image of left hand drive. But I can't remember for sure how the tracbar mounted. I think it was just flipped also, but in my head, it seems it would interfere w/ the diff. hsg.

That was my thought too. The track bar would interfere with the diff if mounted traditionally and if they monted it high it would mess with the steering. It's kinda dumb but it's driving me crazy. I think I want one.

AFAik, the only difference is the drag/tie rod "Y" runs the opposite direction ( and of course the steering box is on the right) , and the steering stabilizer is mounted on the other side. Why do you think the track bar would have to change? it is not a steering component, but a lateral suspension link. It is the same in both configurations.

Last edited:
OLAK said:
AFAik, the only difference is the drag/tie rod "Y" runs the opposite direction ( and of course the steering box is on the right) , and the steering stabilizer is mounted on the other side. Why do you think the track bar would have to change? it is not a steering component, but a lateral suspension link. It is the same in both configurations.

I would think the track bar and draglink would need to be going the same direction other wise you would bump steer since they are not in the same plane.

-Mike

I can get a kit to convert xj's to right hand drive...there are a few bolt in kits out there, some are kinda flimsy but this one I can yank on and it wont wiggle(6'2" 250lb). Best thing about this kit is that after you beat the cr*p out of a xj delivering mail for a couple years you can swap it into your next one. Usually less than a thousand bucks...

Gotta remember that the dash is reversed too. We have a couple of them that the local USPS carriers use as well as one of my customers who also delivers mail part time, she has a 97TJ RHD. I'll throw my digital in the xj and snap a few pics in the next couple of days of both XJ's and TJ RHD. Maybe I can even get them to pop the hood....Gotta go there anyway to get the beginning of the month invoices out...

RichP said:
I'll throw my digital in the xj and snap a few pics in the next couple of days of both XJ's and TJ RHD.

If you could check the location of the fusebox, I'd appreciate it... I'm looking at installing a secondary fuse block, but would like to know if the RHD models kept it in the same location as the LHD ones or not before I go ahead and do it.

dealer can give you info was an option around 96 actually listed as a postal Jeep in their parts stuff.

Only place these were EVER sold was Alaska, Canada, and some overseas areas, (spent the last 5 yrs in alaska). There is nothing but an opposite in the steering, dif is still d side, the steering just moves. If you ever go to Ak there ABUNDANT up there, most are still in use in the bush areas.

BTW, tbar stays as it is on a left side drive.

Steve F said:
I'll get some shots tonight for you guys, just let m know what you want to see. There are plenty of my XJ here and maybe some of what you want http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/gallery/stevef

Cheers
Steve
well this picture solves the trackbar question; you can see the trackbar bracket. the question remains, how does it attach to the axle?

aag.jpg

Badcop said:
BTW, tbar stays as it is on a left side drive.

From Brett's post it looks like the trackbar is mounted on the passenger side at the body. Anyone go pics of how it mounts at the axle? The bumpsteer comment I made in an earlier post. Maybe no one saw it to make any comments.

-Mike

Just look up my write up on making the front coil spacers, moving the trackbar mount etc and there are a stack of picture. www.go.jeep-xj.info

Spacers016.jpg

The trackbar must flip over the the otherside so it stays parallel to the drag link. On the ZJ's they even flip the trackbar on the rear to the otherside as well. The trackbar here has a bend in it to clear the diff cover so it does not hit and why I cannot use LHD ones. The drag or centre link is also bent in the opposite direction and is the only other unique part.

Tbar9.jpg

Badcop said:
Only place these were EVER sold was Alaska, Canada, and some overseas areas, (spent the last 5 yrs in alaska).

I won't argue the mechanical layout, but where you're claiming they were sold isn't entirely right. We first got RHD Cherokees in Ireland in 1993 or 1994, about a year after the UK. Having said that, there are a couple I see running around Socal with NFS paintjobs and plates, all pre-1997. Haven't seen any post office XJs around here, but the terrain on the flatlands largely doesn't require them.

Back