• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about intake manifold for a friend

EvilCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
one of my friends recently acquired an intake manifold from a junkyard out of a 99 or a 00 xj with the 4.0ho because his cracked. my friends cherokee is a 1990 with the 4.0. will the newer intake manifold bolt up to the renix motor? when he got it, he figured a 4.0 intake was a 4.0 intake. doh!,lol if it will bolt up will it be possible to use the tb from the donor vehicle? i would of told him to sign up here and ask himself but he has no internet access out where he lives(cable don't go out that way and he hasn't had a phone in a couple years anyway so dialup is out of the question) thanks in advance guys!

Someone other than me could tell you about it bolting to the head. I do know the Renix uses 3 bolts to hold on the throttle body, the HO used 4 bolts.

If your buddy planning to keep the Renix throttle body then I'd tell him to refuse delivery of the 99 or 00 intake. I take it he wants to keep the engine "stock" vs a renix/HO hybrid. Also the renix uses smaller injectors vs the HO.

It's my understanding that the 99/00 intake manifold won't be usable with the Renix head. It will work with the 91+ 4.0L HO engine though, there's a writeup on Gojeep's website detailing the benefits of that swap.

thanks so far guys. i will speak to my friend tomorrow and see what he plans on doing. if he for some reason keeps it, is there any way to put the ho head on the renix block, maybe/ thanks again!

alrighty, my friend ended up bringing it back to the junkyard. but now the wheels in my head are turning and i'd rather not start a new thread.

is it possible to put the head from a ho motor onto a renix block, then use the newer intake? at the same time, if you can do this, is it possible to get an aftermarket tb to run? the reason i'm asking now is my hopefully next week i'm going to be buying a 1990 w/4.0. it might need a head gasket and since i have to take the head off anyway to replace it, can i put a ho head on there with out too much fuss? if so, i'll just yank the head and manifold off my 91 for now and then down the road i'll upgrade to the newer intake. the 4.0ho in my 91 ran beautiful with the exception of the oh issues and other issues. if i can, i'll do the cooling conversion as well while i'm in there. i already have new t-stat housing, cts, new upper hose, open setup radiator, new heater control valve, and a reservoir as well. most of this was to repair my 91 but that thing needs way more work than appears to the eye. i'm getting this xj for 500bux and everything my 91 needed has already been done. thanks again guys

I've seen guys put the HO head on the early block. The hassle is that the TB's are different between the motors. Guys have successfully used the HO TB on the earlier Renix based systems, but it takes a bit of cobbling to hook up the TPS correctly.

Back