• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive shaft WTF?

w_howey

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 'spare' rear drive shaft out of a matching XJ in the bone yard.
Renix, np 242, AW4, D-35.

But when I went to try and give it a quick fit in the driveway, it is almost 2" longer than the stock shaft. It will fit, but it is all the way against the slip yoke, meaning no more compression.

Now I realize than means I have a little more extension, before the D-shaft falls off the slip yoke, but I am worried, it would do a ton of damage when the axle tried to cycle up.

Here is a pic of two together:
69128860.jpg

any ideas???

I mentioned that to Eagle way back when, he sounded kind of skeptical :wstupid: But two inches is more difference, than I´ve ever noticed. If your sure its the same transfer, tranny, motor and rear end, I sure don´t know (two door/four door?). I wouldn´t use it. Plays heck with your pinion when you bottom out the driveshaft, probably isn´t good for the transfer as well.
I´ve noticed the difference in the lengths of the drive shafts before, also the difference on the wear marks on the transfer yoke (on fairly new XJ´s). Always figured the specifications for the early XJ, where far from exact. But two inches seems kind of, way out there.

Last edited:
8Mud said:
I mentioned that to Eagle way back when, he sounded kind of skeptical :wstupid: But two inches is more difference, than I´ve ever noticed. If your sure its the same transfer, tranny, motor and rear end, I sure don´t know (two door/four door?). I wouldn´t use it. Plays heck with your pinion when you bottom out the driveshaft, probably isn´t good for the transfer as well.
I´ve noticed the difference in the lengths of the drive shafts before, also the difference on the wear marks on the transfer yoke (on fairly new XJ´s). Always figured the specifications for the early XJ, where far from exact. But two inches seems kind of, way out there.

Yes, it was the same setup. I pulled the shaft out of the Jeep in the JY. It is sitting in my garage now, up high, so I won't forget that it is too long and grab it, in a mad rush to get out the door for wheeling. The worst part is, I didn't know anything until I put new U's in it. I'll probably end up trading it to someone local, just so it doesn't sit here.

What is the total length? Possible interest if you wanna ship...

Don’t run it like that. It’s not too pricey to have them shortened at a DL shop.

I'm not running it. It is sitting in the garage.
Both shafts are from XJ's with D-35's I pulled the shaft out myself.

I thought about that, but our local drive shaft guy thinks he is made of gold.

Did one come from a D44 and one from a D35. There is about an inch difference in the snout location on the two differentials.

old_man said:
Did one come from a D44 and one from a D35. There is about an inch difference in the snout location on the two differentials.

I wished the JY had the D-44, I would have bought the entire axle.

At this point I am not going to use it. I getting the impression, it was changed once before, and the previous owner of the JY XJ got the wrong shaft and had run it that way.

If there is a difference in 231, and 242 shafts I may just save it, the wife has a 231 in her XJ, or I may trade it to our fearless leader for one of his heeps.

i ran into this last year.. i needed a new shaft for my 87 4.0L, AW4,NP242, D44.... my parts rig was an 87, 4.0L, puegot 5spd, 231, D44..... the shaft from the parts rig was longer... it measured 32"... i don't recall the difference being 2" though.. a lil foggy but it was between 1 and 2... i just swapped with someone else so i didnt research it much.... i attributed it to the 5spd ttrans..

Back