• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj broke down while traveling

Verified TDC manually with a screw driver... The balancer is half a degree off, which isn't much, and the synchronizer holes still align.

I did find the potential culprit. When I took out the #1 plug I noticed two hairline cracks on the ceramic insulator... Started picking at it and half the insulator fell off. Gonna get a taxi to town and pick up a set of plugs. If that's the culprit, talk about a simple overlook. Fingers crossed.

Just making sure that you saw my previous comment about CPS.

Yes, it's a Mopar unit so I doubt it's defective, it's also a straightforward install with having just the two holes on the mount and not needing alignment... If the new plugs don't fix it I'll dig into the crank sensor and wiring.

Everything is resolved and jeep works like a top! Idles much better with the fresh ngk plugs... I'm so relieved. Phew!

You guys recommend to get the cam synchronizer tuned with the DRB tool? At least I can drive to a dealer somewhere to get it done

Thanks so much for all the help and support, y'all rock!!

No, the fsm considers the toothpick method as accurate. I've checked before and you would not like what they charge just to plug-in the drb. Btw a good scanner can read the sync info.

Glad you got it running.

I have no doubt this will be a memorable family vacation. The Bride still gives me grief about the XJ trip with car repairs in 3 states. That trip was 10 years ago, and she didn't even go with me on that trip. It was just me and The Varmints.

No, the fsm considers the toothpick method as accurate. I've checked before and you would not like what they charge just to plug-in the drb. Btw a good scanner can read the sync info.

Right on, thank you. I'll save myself the trouble of wasting time at a dealer... Maybe run into an indie jeep shop along the road. Just feels like I'm missing a little bit of umph at highway speed.

Glad you got it running.

I have no doubt this will be a memorable family vacation. The Bride still gives me grief about the XJ trip with car repairs in 3 states. That trip was 10 years ago, and she didn't even go with me on that trip. It was just me and The Varmints.

Lol!

we have definitely had our share of hiccups. Been traveling for 8months now and have had to replace the header, reweld a sway bar mount and tow bracket, leaky clutch slave cylinder 2x, wiring gremlins, coolant hoses... All cake compared to this one. Wife mentions every once in a while that we shoulda got a newer Rubicon but she doesn't really get the "vintage" car thing.

I dont know what your plans are for the jeep but converting to spark plug wire is a great benefit!

I dont know what your plans are for the jeep but converting to spark plug wire is a great benefit!

You mean converting it to a distributor? Didn't know it was a thing.... Will look into it when the coils start crapping out. Plus I got a new cam shaft synchronizer oil pump thing I want to use lol

So what got it running properly? Was it just new plugs?

Aside from the sheered teeth, this kept me on that wild goose chase
VMoPP2dx6TuBU2J79

Interesting... What's the benefit aside from plug access?

Being able to read the plugs on a flaming hot engine! I'm also running a Screamin Demon coil and a MSD unit!
P1080691_zpsyx1g0okt.jpg

P1080690_zpsnp853bs8.jpg

Back