• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sector shaft brace with WJ sway bar?

sdspearo

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Who's done this or know of someone who has?

When adding a sector shaft brace (similar to the pillow block bearing ala Boostwerks or Ironman's steering box brace) with a stock sway bar, you'll need to relocate the sway bar mounts which lowers the bar too much for my liking. Since a WJ sway bar has longer arms (approx 2" longer?), I'm wondering if mounting this bar forward of the stock location will be enough to clear hitting the pillow block bearing?

I've seen pics of the WJ sway bar mounted on XJ's, but none with a sector shaft support. Here's one pic of the WJ sway bar on an XJ, but it's hard to tell if there's enough space to fit a pillow block bearing on the sector shaft.

I don't have the answer to your question, as I have no experience with the WJ sway bar, but I have the Baddad front bumper with a sector shaft brace and the OEM XJ sway bar with no clearance issues.

Some pictures for your reference. Hope this helps some.

M3HbOmX.jpg

nm8vetH.jpg

Thanks for sharing that photo...I hadn't seen that version before with a needle bearing.

I took measurements of a WJ sway bar today and the arms are 3" longer than an OEM XJ sway bar. I think this should give enough room to clear a pillow block bearing. I'll know soon enough.

I don't have the answer to your question, as I have no experience with the WJ sway bar, but I have the Baddad front bumper with a sector shaft brace and the OEM XJ sway bar with no clearance issues.

Some pictures for your reference. Hope this helps some.

M3HbOmX.jpg

Want to cut in here a bit... What are your thoughts on the BadDad bumper? I have been looking at them for a while for the hidden winch feature minus most of the other do-dads.
Any pics of the fit and finish?

I don't know if my ramblings will help or not. I do have the Bad Dad Hidden winch setup. I also planned on putting on a WJ Sway bar with that setup. I also have frame stiffeners. I have the Ruff Stuffs on the front.
Overall I like the Bad Dad setup. I did get the sector shaft setup on it. I think its worth the extra $$. I do have the Ironman gearbox brace too. Also, VG.
BDF will ask if you have frame stiffeners etc. He will have to widen the plates out a bit. Mine was very tight fitting. I did go with the full bumper. Mine is mainly street usage. The bumper itself goes on, and probably off very easy. If I was wheeling, I'd get the bumper with the bumperettes. Also, the tubing one. So, as to have better access to the winch. If both a mixture of street/offroad, then I might get two center sections. One tube and one sheet metal for the street. Less exposure for Jack&*@# to mess with the winch.
I have not put in the winch yet. I need to buy a synthetic rope. I think they are better for a hidden winch as they will take a kink better. Also, getting the cradle on was not fun.
As to the WJ sway bar, I bought an OME one. It is 28mm, like the HD XJ sway bar. I run one of those with poly bushings. I want or need the extra width of the WJ sway bar. I think the stock WJ sway bar is dia 32mm. The width is probably 5" wider. I did start on this, and needed to drill into the BDF cradle. When I get other vehicles running then I'll probably get back on the 2000 XJ projects.

Edit: I do think the design is VG to excellent. The quality also VG to excellent. My frame did have some slight damage. Also, the frame stiffener placement, welding etc. could be off a bit. The main question is would I order the BDF bumper setup again. YES!!!!

Last edited:
Want to cut in here a bit... What are your thoughts on the BadDad bumper? I have been looking at them for a while for the hidden winch feature minus most of the other do-dads.
Any pics of the fit and finish?

I really REALLY like it. I feel its a very effective solution to several different challenges. Fit and finish was great. Check out page 19 on my build thread for some more pictures and details.

Follow "Baddadfab Winch Mounts" on Facebook. I know he has been having some trouble getting production moving properly again. He had to work through the trouble of moving locations, and posted yesterday about another roadblock that has stopped him from getting product out. Know that he is a one man band, and don't expect to have a product shipped within a week of ordering. I'll advocate for him being an open an honest person with decent communication, but one person can only do so much. If you can deal with the inconveniences of supporting someone like that, absolutely get one on order.

Also, I highly recommend going with the sector shaft brace with the bumper. It really was the icing on the cake for me with the whole setup. IMO its awesome to have a brace both on the steering box case and the sector shaft.

I really REALLY like it. I feel its a very effective solution to several different challenges. Fit and finish was great. Check out page 19 on my build thread for some more pictures and details.

Follow "Baddadfab Winch Mounts" on Facebook. I know he has been having some trouble getting production moving properly again. He had to work through the trouble of moving locations, and posted yesterday about another roadblock that has stopped him from getting product out. Know that he is a one man band, and don't expect to have a product shipped within a week of ordering. I'll advocate for him being an open an honest person with decent communication, but one person can only do so much. If you can deal with the inconveniences of supporting someone like that, absolutely get one on order.

Also, I highly recommend going with the sector shaft brace with the bumper. It really was the icing on the cake for me with the whole setup. IMO its awesome to have a brace both on the steering box case and the sector shaft.

Thank you.
I have been visiting his site for some time now and getting ready to pull the trigger on a bumper. The pics on his site are all very good. You are the first person I met (on forum or in person) who have one installed. I will look at your build thread and steal some ideas.

This link might help :
https://comancheclub.com/topic/71200-wj-sway-bar-upgrade/#comment-748393

Also, with either the BDF or the Boostwerks Hidden Winch mounts, the front plate will need to be cut. Not sure if Boostwerks has instructions on their site.

There are no pictures on that thread. The sway bar on my XJ is 28 MM the largest...I think.

All I need is a hidden winch bumper. I will not be able to use the steering box brace. The front cross member have been removed years ago and replaced with an angle iron frame to carry the AW4 oil cooler. The XJ is fitted with 32" tires and no plans to go bigger. 4.10 gears would not adequately turn anything bigger. Even so, I added a hydro assist steering and a brace to the other frame to reduce the stress on the steering gear mount area.

I do like the look of the BDF hidden winch front bumper. I would like to see one installed other than what I have see on the BDF site or like on the post, someone who have actually installed one and how it have worked for them.

:spin1: What's the point of using it? Can leave it connected during offroad?

The stock one is 32mm. So, an option of a stiffer front sway bar. On my set up, the sway bar sometimes contacts the frame. I do have frame stiffeners. Also, the BDF setup adds a bit. The WJ sway bar is a bit wider.

I too am interested in getting a sway bar with longer arms in order to move it forward to clear a steering brace.

I am a bit hesitant to use the WJ bar though, because it's quite a bit thicker than the factory XJ bar I already have. Sway bar stiffness rises to the 4th power of diameter. I measured my XJ bar at 26mm thick 10.5" long, and my WJ bar at 30mm thick 13.5" long. If my math is right, thats a 77% increase in stiffness from thickness, and a 29% reduction from the longer lever arm. It comes out to a 48% stiffer sway bar - so plan on using the sway bar disconnects much more regularly!

I need to get some measurements off of a TJ sway bar. I know its a tad longer, it might be enough to clear the steering brace.

I too am interested in getting a sway bar with longer arms in order to move it forward to clear a steering brace.

I am a bit hesitant to use the WJ bar though, because it's quite a bit thicker than the factory XJ bar I already have. Sway bar stiffness rises to the 4th power of diameter. I measured my XJ bar at 26mm thick 10.5" long, and my WJ bar at 30mm thick 13.5" long. If my math is right, thats a 77% increase in stiffness from thickness, and a 29% reduction from the longer lever arm. It comes out to a 48% stiffer sway bar - so plan on using the sway bar disconnects much more regularly!

I need to get some measurements off of a TJ sway bar. I know its a tad longer, it might be enough to clear the steering brace.

Yeah, its going to be way stiffer. Could ways go looking for a swaybar from some other vehicle.

So to answer my original question of fitting a WJ sway bar with a pillow block style sector shaft brace...yes, it'll fit with modifications. See attached pics.
Not gonna say the jeep feels like a slot car now, but the stiffer WJ bar feels better on the road too, not overly stiff.

Back