• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Needing some help

No problem.

Yeah, just disconnect it - removing is only strictly necessary on the 91/older model years, which use the Bendix ABS system that is prone to failure and will result in sudden loss of braking power under some conditions if you just pull the fuses/relays.

Alright cool... My brakes are another thing on the list the suck ass atm.. But i am trying to fix a lot of smaller things first and solve all my electrical problems first... I hate getting Vehicles where the PO Half asses everything..

Should have the tranny flushed tonight.. Going to get all my vents hooked up and ran up high where i want them (Rear ends, transfer case and tranny Although i have to find the tranny vent first lol)... going to get my new batter cables hooked up.. And then start working on the fuse problems i am having... Then move on to other things... Like the fact that my brakes suck lol before that though i want to get a new track bar on there and get this thing aligned get a windshield you can see through.. lol

Good lord the more i talk about this the more of a POS this thing seems lol...

Alright another question... Well i guess just looking for some comments...

I am thinking about locking in the rear axle... But i am not going to spend the money on buying lockers...

Weld them? what are the cons of doing this? I Am going to do this unless i find a reason not to

You're going to wear out your rear tires pretty fast, get some really strange looks in parking lots and whenever you turn sharply, etc.

How often do you wheel? If you only go a couple times a year, maybe see if you can get a mini-spool for the front or rear and install it before leaving, then take it out when you get home. I don't know if anyone produces a mini-spool for the 8.25 though, and I can't really seriously suggest locking a 35.

You're going to wear out your rear tires pretty fast, get some really strange looks in parking lots and whenever you turn sharply, etc.

How often do you wheel? If you only go a couple times a year, maybe see if you can get a mini-spool for the front or rear and install it before leaving, then take it out when you get home. I don't know if anyone produces a mini-spool for the 8.25 though, and I can't really seriously suggest locking a 35.

I only want to lock the rear and its a D44... And its not a Driver i am only going to use it to wheel... we have a place of are own we can wheel a little.. My girls grandparents have land with a rocky creek i go to every few months.. there is a place to go wheeling about 45 mins away from my house i plan to start going to.. (Its pretty new and i just now have something worth taking there...) And I will be going up to the Canadian river (Amarillo 5 hour drive lol) A few times a year + some other trips..

This jeep is not a driver at all.. I drive it off and on if i am going to play around somewhere close to home though... but its not really street legal lol It is insured and inspected though lol

I only want to lock the rear and its a D44... And its not a Driver i am only going to use it to wheel... we have a place of are own we can wheel a little.. My girls grandparents have land with a rocky creek i go to every few months.. there is a place to go wheeling about 45 mins away from my house i plan to start going to.. (Its pretty new and i just now have something worth taking there...) And I will be going up to the Canadian river (Amarillo 5 hour drive lol) A few times a year + some other trips..

This jeep is not a driver at all.. I drive it off and on if i am going to play around somewhere close to home though... but its not really street legal lol It is insured and inspected though lol
A spool would be better than welding it up but if you decide to weld it up it will make a difference having it welded by a competent welder. Everything must be completely free of oil so you should take the carrier out and clean it up in a parts washer or dunk it in carb cleaner etc.

And to add to that... non chlorinated cleaner ONLY!

See dgrigorenko's signature for the reason why (phosgene = bad)

A spool would be better than welding it up but if you decide to weld it up it will make a difference having it welded by a competent welder. Everything must be completely free of oil so you should take the carrier out and clean it up in a parts washer or dunk it in carb cleaner etc.

Welding it wont be a problem been doing it all my life + I have some fab guys that work for me if i get worried about welding it myself (I work in a steel yard)

The Spool i think will be better in the long run.. But my thinking was.. I Plan on re gearing later on.. And figured just welding it up for now will save me alot of work on something that is just going to be swapped out later on.. This may be a dumb question but will the same spool work with the 3.55 gears and work when i go lower? I am thinking no.. Lol

And to add to that... non chlorinated cleaner ONLY!

See dgrigorenko's signature for the reason why (phosgene = bad)

Yeah fumes can be a pain in the ass.... Or in this matter lunges lol

Thank both of you for coming back and helping me out still its nice to have some help from people that know alot more about this stuff then me lol

Last edited:
Just a little up date i have been side tracked with other projects... I got my F4i stunt bike back up and running so i had to get my hauler going too... But as of last night my 1970 swb GMC And my bike are done!... after it was dark last night and i was done riding i did go and add vents on to my rear ends that run all the way to the top of the jeep inside but thats about it.. Worked on the tranny some the other night... its being a real pain and not getting very clean ... so going to buy another 5 gal. and see if that will put a dent in it.... Damn water..

Back