• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

needing some help

wlay1980

NAXJA Forum User
I am interested in a doing some performance upgrades to my 91 cherokee. I am going to be undergoing a top end rebuild and I would like to know where to look for a few parts and brands to buy. I am needing the following:
-headers
-intake manifold(?, maybe I might just port it and clean it up then gasket match.)
-throttle body
I am not looking at anything to aggressive, I am not trying to make a racer just get a little better performance out of my rig. Also any recomendations of a good lift kit I am wanting to do a 4 inch suspension lift and could use a good brand to go with.
I am not wealthy so I need to do this a the cheap, I can spend maybe 3K max to finish the truck completely including paint.

thanks,

^^^^^^^^^ That guy would just say use the rattle can paint job. Personally I blew my budget build away many moons ago. What I wanted and what I could really afford, rarely ended up being the same thing.

Go with a 99+ intake manifold. Do a mild home port and polish on the head, followed by a 3 angle valve job with the valves back cut 32*. I would recommend the APN header. For the TB get a 63mm from www.strokedjeep.com. For lift look a RE 3.5" or you can try iron rock offroad.

I am interested in a doing some performance upgrades to my 91 cherokee. I am going to be undergoing a top end rebuild and I would like to know where to look for a few parts and brands to buy. I am needing the following:
-headers
-intake manifold(?, maybe I might just port it and clean it up then gasket match.)
-throttle body
I am not looking at anything to aggressive, I am not trying to make a racer just get a little better performance out of my rig. Also any recomendations of a good lift kit I am wanting to do a 4 inch suspension lift and could use a good brand to go with.
I am not wealthy so I need to do this a the cheap, I can spend maybe 3K max to finish the truck completely including paint.

thanks,

Hey bud.... to quote the old school motorheads... "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

It all depends on how much money you're willing to invest in the project.

I'm assuming you've got a 4.0L (if not, sell it now and buy a 4.0L. ;) ), First thing to consider is how much money you have to spend on it, and how proficient you are working with cars (ie: can you pull the head, port match, cam swap, etc, yourself, or would you be having a shop do it?).

Again, it all comes back to how much money you have to spend.

Start off with the basics.... a cold-air intake with a K&N cone filter and a Flowmaster muffler would be a good start. Next would probably be a 62mm throttlebody from eBay and a more aggressive cam. Then a set of headers, port/polish job on the head, set of roller rockers, higher compression pistons, etc......\

It's all a matter of how much you want to spend. Hell..... for $3500 (IIRC....), you can get a longblock 4.6L stroker engine making a guaranteed 260hp. Can't remember where I saw this, but if you're interested, I'll look it up for you. :)

Start off with the basics.... a cold-air intake with a K&N cone filter and a Flowmaster muffler would be a good start.

It's all a matter of how much you want to spend. Hell..... for $3500 (IIRC....), you can get a longblock 4.6L stroker engine making a guaranteed 260hp. Can't remember where I saw this, but if you're interested, I'll look it up for you. :)

Flowmasters are one of the worst mufflers to pick if you are looking for performance instead of sound. Look into a "super turbo" style muffler instead, as that one will actually have some good CFM numbers. I would look into a high flow cat at the same time. You will see a better gain from the cat than from a muffler.

Cold air intakes are a waste of money unless you take the extra effort to completely seal off the filter from the engine heat, and make sure outside air can easily get to it. There is nothing magical about a cone filter, the tube style intakes are only good if they are insulated. Otherwise they will perform worse than the stock air box.

Back