• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap flat paint

g0dz1ll4

NAXJA Forum User
I'm considering painting my XJ in a coat of flat camel (desert, sand, biege, etc...) colored paint. I am fairly competent with painting and wanted to solicit the advice of anyone who's done this in the past.

I want something that is going to be fairly tough once applied - but when I called my local painter's supply store, they quoted me a price of $350 per gallon - The same I would pay to have Maaco paint my entire Jeep. Has anyone had luck with any type of cheaper flat paint? This seems really high, price wise, and I have a hard time believing that I can't do this for much less while still getting good results.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

cherowagon said:
rattle can.

I've thought about that - but I'm wondering how well it will adhere to my existing paint. I don't mind touch ups once a year or so, but I want to make sure that I don't end up with paint coming off everytime I bump the thing.

in my past experience with painting (rattle can and spray gun) the prep job is more important the brand of paint you buy , prep it good and a rattle can will be 99% as good as a spray gun if you know what youre doing. take a look at some of the artwork taggers pull off, im against vandalism but some of thier "work" is VERY good.

I'm using a rattle can on my jeep at the moment, and it really does depend on how well you sand and clean the paint before you apply whatever kind of paint you want. If you sand it well enough, it will come out looking great.

panama red said:
I used the rustolium ultra flat camo paint from home depot. Only took 5 cans and a roll of tape.
X2 on all of my add ons--bumper guard, rock rails, roof rack, hitch, and even the tow hooks. It's finally started coming off the tow hooks, though I didn't rough them up first.

Just make sure you use a "de-waxer" before you start to sand!

Wash it with dishwasher liquid and hot water, that removes all the oil and wax, then do the sanding and prep-sol the whole thing. To get good camo the masking is the secret if you are going to use 3 color camo say black, green, tan paint the whole thing black or dark green first, base it with the color there is the most of, then tape it off into the pattern. There are a few sites out there with the layout of different vehicles. Do a search on camo, I've posted a few links to the TM's [Technical Manuals] that even have the schemes and layout guideines.

We use to touch up the m151's, blazers with issue US Govt rattle cans but the new paint that is used, radar absorbant anti IR, etc is nasty stuff and the only place that they do that is in sealed facilities now.

shoot me an email at [email protected] and I can email you a copy of the manual I used to paint mine with. Gives you exact details and even paint schemes. Kinda paint by number! I used the rattle can from walmart (camo kind) and still hanging on tight except a few spots but I didnt sand mine either, just washed it really good. Check it out at http://4staroffroad.com/Pictures/Livingston 11.19.05/pages/DSCF1672_JPG.htm

Livingston2005031.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Livingston11-19-05008.jpg

Hope this helps. Jeff

Lets see if these are big enough! There are two paint variations fig. 44 and fig. 44a I used 44a on mine. It has all views of the vehicle and instead of having 2 doors and one big window I have a 4door so I had to adjust a little for that but basically its just the same. I didnt use any paint lines either, just painted and used my imagination as I went and used the drawings to keep me close. Covered the glass and seals also. Hope these help.
colordistribution.jpg

abreviations.jpg

44a-2.jpg

44-2.jpg

44a-1.jpg[/IMG]
44-1.jpg

Last edited:
yeah i might give it a go... supposedly self leveling so maby the sanding isnt terrible... but if it is im gonna wait till next semester when we have pledges again to do it:twak:

This may not fit the "cheap flat" portion of the question, but you can get what is essentially automotive paint at a farm or tractor supply store - the same stuff you'd use to repaint your tractor! Better quality than the rattle can but lower price than automotive paint.

when I'm painting what ever.. I always stop by the local paint shops and supply stores.. ask them for messed up paint.. the paint they mixed for someone else.. that didnt' pay for it.. came out wrong.. it's usually a much better paint and will get the job done.. but nonads has a good point.. tractor supply might have what your looking for.. if not then rattle can it.. make sure to use some dish soap to wash the entire surface to get rid of any waxes or oils.. then scuff it and spray it.. just wetsand the surface quickly.. it will stick way better. I've rattle can'd a few things to say the least.. make sure you clean off the surface first with a degreaser like dishsoap at a min.. etc..

Back