• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adhesive or Epoxy for dash mount?

jpfreak

NAXJA Member #1208
I bought a RAM mount for my GPS and iPod on Friday, it came with an adhesive disk to mount it on the dash.

The provided disk didn't work, I tried two different multi-purpose epoxy mixes, and neither of them held. Also put self tapping screws through the dash but it just cracked and none of them held.

I would like this to be permanent. What can I use to hold it on there?

I see you are in Vegas, I have ordered my Garmin bean bag mount from GPS city - www.gpscity.com They are a dealer for RAM mounts, go by there and ask them what to do, take advanage of your local resource.

the dash isnt very permeable so glue isnt going to stick very well. I would recommend drilling holes and then using bolts if you want a strong mount. The only other option would be to get something that is made of the same material as the dash. They must have some sort of epoxy or glue that is of similar composition. Once again the permeability comes into factor. If it wont bond to the actual plastic its not going to hold. Bolt it

Unfortunately I don't have the photos anymore, but I made a permanent mount for my eTrex Legend using the marine mount and some machine screws and faucet washers. It worked great, and fit perfectly in the area between the instrument cluster and A-pillar on my 2001 Sport.

This did involve dash disassembly and some drilling, but nothing too horrible. It also allowed removal of the unit from the vehicle when not in use (or on foot), and wasn't so obtrusive as to be in the way. If I can dig up the photos, I'll be sure to post them.

"Gorilla Glue" may fix your problem. I used it to put the "4X4" emblem on my rear quarter panel and it held up fine. Of course, I had to use tape on it until it set up. May be worth a try.

Hope that helps.

Gorilla Snot works great.:laugh3: Thats what a lot of old timers call the weatherstripping adhesive in the tube. It will hold about as good as anything. Wiping the area to be glued with MEK will soften the plastic and aid in adhesion.

I mounted an XM radio receiver with garden variety 5 minute epoxy and it's still hanging on there. It's been about three months now. I did clean all the Armoral off with alcohol first though.

Get you a tube of "Goop". It is slightly flexible and will hold almost anything. Only thing I could get to hold some heavy enclosed speakers to the back window of my Chevy Pickup with camper. Everything else I tried vibrated loose after hitting a few bumps. Don

I had a similar problem, trying to glue small metal brackets to hold map pockets
to the plastic surface of the lower front doors, Tried EVERYTHING, 3M exotic glues,weatherstrip glues, epoxies, super adhesive tapes. NOTHING worked. Then, a person at the Eastwood company recommended SINBAD glue. A medical glue distributed by a small company in FL. (Eastwood doesnt carry it). IT WORKS. Installed a year ago, knocked quite often, it holds beautifully.
The address: www.sinbadglue.com
Be careful not to glue your fingers to anything.

Reiner00XJ
Naxja member 264

Back