• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Paint help

8Mud

NAXJA Forum User
Gonna be warm enough to touch up the bumpers, grill and other odds and ends soon.
What I need is somebody with taste or some color sense, to give me some ideeas. I have an 88 XJ, that´s a cordovan color (kind of red/brown). Thinking about doing the bumpers, flares, rockers, grill and bezels in another color. Probably go with black, but there must be better choices.
Has anybody come up with a complementary color for red/brown, that looks nice? Most of the paint, is in good shape, doesn´t need the whole body painted.

From your description of the cordovan, I'm guessing it's the same color as my '86 4-banger. I would have called it "russet" -- is yours metallic?

What about bumpers and flares in either gold or platinum, like the Limited models in the arly 90s?

Don´t think it´s metallic, if it is, it´s really mild. It looks pretty close, to the russet sample, in a 87 brouchure I have, but seems, just a little darker (could be age). Don´t really know if they changed the color/shade in 88. Been looking at a beige or yellow beige, kind of a pastel, but I´m not known for my fashion sense or good taste.
Platinum or silver/grey has also caught my eye, can´t really picture how it would be with the Russet. Seen many Gold highlighted XJ´s around, want to be a little different without being ugly.

Probably won´t use a metallic, about every 5-6 times I try and shoot a meatalic, something goes wrong, pistol spits or the regulator hangs and it goes on a little too thick. Mistakes with metallic really show up and metallic is hard to touch up. It´s bound to get some branch scratches and stone dings.
Have looked at gun metal grey, kind of a smoke color I guess. Might work out well. Like to keep my paint schemes (at least on my rides). low key, police notice you less.
Was kind of looking at something like 87 Jeep Champagne, without the metallic, also thought about sterling silver, but a little darker (like the gun metal you mentioned).
Have seen some two tone XJ´s, that kind of missed the mark, if you know what I mean. Germans have a talent for getting it wrong. Have seen many XJ´s, with after thoughts bolted on and paint that didn´t work. Chromed pimp mo'biles.
Probably gonna have to break out a paint book, compare and hope it looks as good on the Jeep, as it did in the sample.
If I go with a lighter color, should I do the grill and bezels also? Or just maybe the bumpers, rockers and flares?
Thanx for the imput, I usually stay with basic black or white.

i would go with rockers flares and bumpers, it keeps a nice edge on the bottom of the XJ. you can always do the headlight stuff later?

Back