• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aftermarket tach hookup

lapisxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I am trying to hook a VDO tach to my 96 xj 4.0 and am not sure which wire I should go off of from the coil. The book shows one gray wire from the ignition coil but my engine has a plug with 2 wires neither of which are straight gray. Which one do I hook to, it is supposed to be the (-) coil wire.

lapisxj said:
Hey I am trying to hook a VDO tach to my 96 xj 4.0 and am not sure which wire I should go off of from the coil. The book shows one gray wire from the ignition coil but my engine has a plug with 2 wires neither of which are straight gray. Which one do I hook to, it is supposed to be the (-) coil wire.

hey im also hooking up a tach aswell. mines a summit tach thought but basicilly same thing. thier should be a green and a black wire that conects to igntion coil. the black one should be the - part of the coil. thats what i was told anyways.

sttchF-3.gif

hth

Hook the tach wire up to the black wire from the coil plug. The green one won't work. Got mine working and it looks great! Got it mounted in that dummy pannel to the right of the guages. Perfect fit!

Back