• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1/2 length vs full length AAL

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
I want 2" of lift in the back by replacing my blocks with AALs. I was looking at the rubicon express AALs but they dont have a 2" full length AAL, just 2.5". They do have a 2.5" AAL though. Will the 1/2 lengths break my one years old packs a lot quicker than full lengths or does anyone know where I can get 2" full lengthss?

thanks
Dean

When it comes to AAL, you really can not predict the outcome. So say the get 5" of lift from a set, but that is probably because thier OEM pack were really sagging. You mentioned the block, this may have damaged your leaf packs by spring wrapping.

Th RE 2.5" full-length AAL will probably give you more then 2.5" in the begining and then they will settle. A 1/2" is no big deal, OEM when it was new has a slight rake. That way when you loaded up all your gear. Your rear will not be squatting going down the trail or on your road trip.

a short AAL may not "kill" a new spring pack as fast as a tired pack but it will certainly wear it out.. i put a RE short leaf on my 87 with a 1" sag and it sits about 1.5" over stock height.. i put a full length AAL in my 99 with a slight sag in the rear and i intially got 4" over stock but since october it has settled to about 3.25 " over stock height.. the short leaf has a considerably harsher ride but the long leaf is comfortable as a daily driver...
mike

The spring apcks I have in there now were brand new when I put them in late last spring. Originally I got about 2.5" of lift out of them but after driving it around and then loosening eveerything up and bouncing it, they are down to exactly stock. These are medium duty springs and seem to give a harsher ride than the stock ones.

The thing I am concerned with is having to spend tones of money on other stuff because I have too much lift. So, say I go with the full length 2.5" and it settles down to 3" give or take a little, would I need an SYE, degree shims, or anything like that?

thanks for the input

Dean

I wouldn't worry about an SYE, with a 91' you should be able to use a tcase drop and an extended slip yoke. That should take you to 4.5" of lift. It sounds like the block you had really tore up your new springs. With a long aal, you should be fine. What kind of shocks are you running. I find that the shocks dictate the quality of the ride more than the springs.

Can someone please clarify to me why the AAL makes the spring pack wear out quicker?? I can understand why a block does damage (spring wrap) but the AAL doesn't make sense to me. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I gotta know!

JBrobeck said:
Can someone please clarify to me why the AAL makes the spring pack wear out quicker?? I can understand why a block does damage (spring wrap) but the AAL doesn't make sense to me. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I gotta know!
A block will create a lot of leverage upon the leaf springs. So when you accelerate or climb a steep hill. the torque of the drivetrain is warpping the springs. It causes them to be in a unnatural shape. Long aal are fine, they spread the weight across more area. Short aal are like the block, this is where you wold have a thicker and tighter arch, whcich with our soft oem springs will cause spring wrap over time. Also when on the trail and flexing them out with either the block or short aal will cuase them to be in an S shape.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/axlewrap/

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/xj_aal_01/

This helps explain it.

I dont think the blocks damaged the springs much if at all, but I've heard horror stories so I dont want to go through them. They havent been in long and its a daily driver and only been on the trails a couple times since I put them in and it wasnt beaten on. Thanks for clearing up my concern on the SYE. How much would I have to drop the t-case?

Standard 1" works fine. you can make your own or just get a set for any of the dealers.

As far as lift blocks, your right, I don't know your exact circumstances. I had a leathal combination of a Short AAL, 1.5" block and extended shackles with my OEM leaf pack. I had some serious spring wrap climbing a hill named "Hollywood Hill" it is a huge steep piece of granite. I lost the rear U-joint and had to diaper the t-case and went home in 4wd high. I also twisted the extended slip yoke, the thing is useless.

Anyway that's my story, :)

Check out those links though, very useful information.

Back