• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 bent shaft or bent axle

RNMedic

NAXJA Member #659
Okay whats the easiest way to tell if I have a bent shaft or bent axle housing? got some rubbing from the rear axle. 88XJ with 4.5 lift drop brackets 99 Ford 8.8 rear and new brakes/rotors all the way round. No Trauma that I am aware of. spring perches were supposedly welded on with small frequent welds/cooling to prevent distortion.

TIA John

Last edited:
what makes you think you have something bent?

had it up on jackstands, with someone in it to check the new speedo gear. heard the rub and rear left looks crooked.

If the tire apears to wobble while it spins then it's the shaft, if the tire runs pretty true then it will be the housing.

use an angle finder to see if flange is perpendicular to shaft.

thanks, I also have a big rafter square. Guess time to pull the rear axle apart again

Are you serious?You need to put a dial indicator on the flange and check for run-out.

I wasn't going to assume that everyone had a dial indicator laying around, or was in the market to buy one.

Point being,if you could measure it with an angle finder or framing square,its bent for sure and you could see it with your eyes,no tools needed!

Back