• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clyde Frog Build Thread

Finally got her on 33's! I installed the rear 4.56 gears and Tru-trac in the rear 8.8. Still need to do the front D30 (so I am 2wd again). I welded up some inner 'C' strength and track bar mount beef to my spare housing, plus upgraded the upper bushings and ball joints. Now I just need to re-gear it and put in my tru-trac then install it in the Jeep.

So I am sitting at 4.5" in the rear (RE 3.5 leafs with their 1" extended shackle) and ~ 4" in the front (RE 3.5 springs with a 5/8" poly spacer). I am thinking of just running this setup as I really love the stance. I need to take it out to check on clearance issues while fully flexed. I have extended the bump stops 2" both front and rear.

Finally looks and feels like a real Jeep!
IMG_5975.jpg

IMG_5976.jpg

Also got these cheap bad boys for my birthday. Pretty happy with them so far. The plastic lens feels super cheap but the output seems legit.
IMG_5977.jpg

I've got those same LED driving lights on my son's 97. Good lord they are bright.

BTW, if you have a 3.5" spring and a 1" shackle, you're only going to get about half the shackle lift as additive to the spring pack unless you move the spring hardpoint as well.

I bought a non-disco housing awhile back to replace my disco housing (could never get it to seal correctly after converting to chromo one piece shafts). Figured I would beef it up a bit while its on the bench. Added some bracing to the 'C's. Never did tube inserts, I think I will be ok for what I use it for. A truss prob wont clear the V8 pan. Installed some RE upper bushings. New spicer ball joints going in as well.

IMG_5979.jpg
IMG_5981.jpg

IMG_5982.jpg

The housing I got was egged out at the track bar mount. I bought a clayton offroad 9/16th bolt kit and a synergy dual durometer bushing to press into my adjustable track bar. I welded the nut with plating to the inside. Also fixed a few cracks in the mount.
IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_5978.jpg

nice looking good dude!

Yes it is. Where did you get the C gussets? I'd like to go ahead and put those on my wife and son's jeeps.

Its looking good on 33s....... glad you did the 4.56s....
Thanks! Didn't fully lock it though...
Yes it is. Where did you get the C gussets?
They are Artec. I have a wholesale account with 4wheelparts (Transamerica), Aka Polaris since they own everyone....I shoulda bought stock in them 3 years ago!

Ok got the disco axle in. So now im 4.56 gearing, and Trutracs front and rear.

The drivers side 'C' bracket pushes on the spring causing the spring to hit my track bar mount over bumps. Super annoying, thinking about grinding the bracket down and/or getting a different track bar mount.
IMG_6187.jpg

IMG_6188.jpg

Also received my custom PRP seats, gonna be putting those in soon, thanks Blondjon for the brackets!
IMG_6171.jpg

And built some 2x6 rock sliders.
IMG_6183.jpg

IMG_6184.jpg

A lot of updates will be coming.

Last edited:
Got around to installing my new PRP daily drivers. Super happy with them. Not as plush as the factory seats but way better support. They are very comfortable, warm in the cold weather, about the same size (rear passengers wont be smashed) and the factory seat belt seems to work well. They are about 1" shorter which is nice. So far they are a bit difficult to get in and out of, I am 165lbs at 5' 11". I am sure I will get used to it. The upper part is wider so not much room between the seats. Build quality is extremely nice compared to the price (I think they could charge more).

IMG_6208.jpg

IMG_6210.jpg

IMG_6211.jpg

IMG_6213.jpg

Looks really good man.

The drivers side 'C' bracket pushes on the spring causing the spring to hit my track bar mount over bumps. Super annoying, thinking about grinding the bracket down and/or getting a different track bar mount.

What about shortening the trackbar a bit to move the whole axle (and spring) towards the drivers side. You probably won't notice the axle being perfectly off centered by a 1/4 inch or so and it may give you enough clearance to stop the rubbing.

What about shortening the trackbar a bit to move the whole axle (and spring) towards the drivers side. You probably won't notice the axle being perfectly off centered by a 1/4 inch or so and it may give you enough clearance to stop the rubbing.
I thought about that but its already shortened and about 1/2" to the drivers side and it still hits. I didnt think about that when i welded the 'C' brackets on, I could have mounted them out further.....oh well.

So need to post some pics. Took it to Moab and bent the shit out of the unibody on Cliff Hanger trail. Also blew up the t case. Thanks Blondjon for taking my call when my ass was stranded in Provo UT. Finally got the rig home.

Lots of upgrades and body damage since last post........

crazy on the case.

Been AWHILE.....

Bought a new Chevy Colorado with the Baby Dmax in it and turning that into more of a long haul/light offraod/overlanding/towing/camping etc.

Soooooo, taking the XJ a different direction now that I have another vehicle to fill in where the Jeep was usefull. Going to make it better in the rocks.

Started with removing my a/c, relocting the battery to the rear and mounting the rear shocks on top of the axle.

I tied the hoops into the side fenders for lateral support (without adding a cross brace to both mounts):

IMG-8441.jpg

IMG-8443.jpg

IMG-8444.jpg

IMG-8440.jpg

Also straight piped the exhaust (muffler was all beat up from Reno Fest).

Hell yeah ! This thing gets better all the time !

Back