• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant Temp sensor for RENIX, location after swapping to HO.

stockli

NAXJA Forum User
I just flopped a 94 block into my 89 and cant seem to find a place to put the engine block temp sensor for the RENIX engine control. I have kept everything RENIX except for the 94 block and inards.

It looks like the 94 has a larger three prong sensor just forward of the 89 block location. there however appears to be a plug in the spot where the sensor should go. Is this the case?

Also what do you guys use to get those plugs out? 3/8 drive is too big and 1/4 too small for the square head.

thanks

Last edited:
Got a pic of the side of the block?

As far as the square drive for the plug, it's 5/16" or 8m/m (same size.) Easy enough to deal with - go to the hardware store, get a decent hex key in 5/16" or 8m/m. Grind down two opposite corners just a bit. Et viola! a 5/16" square drive key.

It doesn't take much grinding. You can see in the pictures below - they're not very good, but they'll get the idea across. One is a profile view, one is a view of the "sharp end":

8mm Square Drive 01.jpg 8mm Square Drive 02.jpg

Ill have a pic for you this weekend and post it.

thanks for the tip on the hex key, I scratched my head cursing for a while on tuesday after this.

Ill have a pic for you this weekend and post it.

thanks for the tip on the hex key, I scratched my head cursing for a while on tuesday after this.

Grinding down a hex key is loads easier than trying to grind down a 3/8" extension, you don't make a tool completely useless for anything else (you can still use it as a 5/16" or 8m/m hex key,) and have you seen what the "tool trucks" want for a 5/16" square drive? Ouch! "Robbery with violence" comes to mind...

I've been meaning to get pix of that up, I just hadn't had a chance to do so yet.

The MAC "grab your ankles" truck.

At least the boxes are a cool color.

Thanks guys, your help makes this so much easier!

Et viola! a 5/16" square drive key.

It's nice to see that someone doesn't write, WALLAH!! (not really a word)

Through trial and error (alot more error than trial) I found a random center punch with a 5/16" square shaft actually fit in there, cut the tapered part off and used a 12 pt. socket on a breaker bar. Worked great!!

Back