• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

241or swap

bmfm64

NAXJA Forum User
so i'm swapping a 241or for my current 231 in my 99 with 4.0/aw4/231 30front 8.25rear. i've read all the threads i can find about it and still have questions... mainly drivelines. i've read that you can use the stock front driveline as a rear with a sye on your 231. this being said, is it possible with the 241, if you swap the rear output on the case? from what i've read most people swap the front output back to the 1310 so the front driveline still works in the front but the rear seams to be not so clear. is there an advantage of running the rubi rear output and a flange style driveline? if i need to swap the rear flange to a 1310 size wouldn't it make more sense to swap to the 1310 yoke style on the rear instead and use a front driveline for the rear and not have to carry 2 different drivelines as spares and the spares can be sourced from J/Y? and one last question... anyone know if the front and rear outputs are the same size/spline etc? basically will they interchange? thanks

The problem is, there is no "right way" to do this. You can keep the "stock" Rubicon output, and get custom shaft ends, or keep the stock size shaft ends and change the T-case outputs. Both solutions are correct.

For my money, you are probably looking a custom length drive shaft anyway. (I don't know for sure, it's based on ride height/suspension articulation/T-case location, you really should measure that on YOUR rig, not someone elses build or advice) If I was doing it, I'd leave the T-case outputs alone, and make the drive shafts match, but like I said, doing it the other way is also "right".

Yes, if you swap the flanges out for 1310 yokes, you can run the front AW4 shaft in the front or the rear. I swapped to the 1310 yokes (front and back) when I put mine in, and although I have front and rear Tom Woods Shafts, I have a spare AW4 OEM front shaft that I carry and it will fit in the front and the rear. This is on a 6.5" Clayton Longarm lift.

The 1310 yokes that you get for the 241OR (got mine from Tom Woods) will fit either the front or the back, they are interchangeable. The splines are the same front and rear.

You will love this swap. It brings the awesome.

~James

Yes, if you swap the flanges out for 1310 yokes, you can run the front AW4 shaft in the front or the rear. I swapped to the 1310 yokes (front and back) when I put mine in, and although I have front and rear Tom Woods Shafts, I have a spare AW4 OEM front shaft that I carry and it will fit in the front and the rear. This is on a 6.5" Clayton Longarm lift.

The 1310 yokes that you get for the 241OR (got mine from Tom Woods) will fit either the front or the back, they are interchangeable. The splines are the same front and rear.

You will love this swap. It brings the awesome.

~James
perfect exactly what i was hoping to hear! thank you! i should have mentioned as well i'm running the 6.5 RE long arm with some other junk and 35s.

perfect exactly what i was hoping to hear! thank you! i should have mentioned as well i'm running the 6.5 RE long arm with some other junk and 35s.

I made this swap just recently. I'm not sure if you came across my thread or not. If you have any questions, let me know. I'd be more than happy to help you out.

In respect to the driveshaft - I had JB Conversions install 1310 yokes on the front and rear of my case, so that I could utilize my front/rear driveshafts.

Link to my thread just in case:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1007897

Scott

I made this swap just recently. I'm not sure if you came across my thread or not. If you have any questions, let me know. I'd be more than happy to help you out.

In respect to the driveshaft - I had JB Conversions install 1310 yokes on the front and rear of my case, so that I could utilize my front/rear driveshafts.

Link to my thread just in case:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1007897

Scott
thats the best write up ive seen! thanks!

Back