• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ls swap into 2001 xj

You'll also want to bookmark certain posts with what information they have. I did that a lot and it really helped with going back and trying to find things.

It took me about a year to do mine, you'll need to figure if your keeping your gauges or installing new, shifter for transmission,cross member,drivr lines, fuel lines, etc... I personally bought HP tuners software and took a tuning class. You don't just delete the Vats there is a lot more to it. Like they said above do your homework study study study. I read everything out there printed out wire schematics for the cherokee and my 5.7. Had one whole wall in my garage dedicated for pictures and info for the swap. it took me longer to do the Homework then it did to do the swap. Good luck. Call Novak and tell them what you want they'll send you a parts list quote needed for the swap and you could go through it and weed out what you really don't need. It's a good starting point. Just be ready for the Quote they send it will be a lot of money, but like I said just use it for a parts list.

It took me about a year to do mine, you'll need to figure if your keeping your gauges or installing new, shifter for transmission,cross member,drivr lines, fuel lines, etc... I personally bought HP tuners software and took a tuning class. You don't just delete the Vats there is a lot more to it. Like they said above do your homework study study study. I read everything out there printed out wire schematics for the cherokee and my 5.7. Had one whole wall in my garage dedicated for pictures and info for the swap. it took me longer to do the Homework then it did to do the swap. Good luck. Call Novak and tell them what you want they'll send you a parts list quote needed for the swap and you could go through it and weed out what you really don't need. It's a good starting point. Just be ready for the Quote they send it will be a lot of money, but like I said just use it for a parts list.

Yeah I don’t expect it to go fast. I have heard on the 2001 you can use the stock gauges but haven’t seen too many successful and need to find more info. Currently just in the planning stage. As far as the tune goes I am just sending the pcm for it to run and then I am having a custom tune local. I have seen people modify the trans shifter to use the stock one and that would be ideal. As far as fuel system goes what did you guys do as far as your fuel pump/tank? Furthermore did you use 3/8 nylon fuel line and quick connects or what is the way to go?

yes i used quick disconnects and I used the whole pump system from the z28 , I machined an adapter to fit in the cherokees tank to hold the Z28 pump.I have a 97 which is the same set up as the 2001, Novak has the adapter for the gauges too. I'm telling you call Novak and have them email a quote and you could at least have a parts list to go off of. It is definitely a rush when your cruzing with all that power at your feet.

I'm in the middle of doing this swap in a yj, for your VSS you need to consider you will need a switch/sensor to tell it is in 4LOW so the speed sensor works correctly. I cant remember what the adapter is to get to the s10 np231, i remember seeing them for about 50$ online

In the xj i think the biggest problem is going to be packaging that exhaust. The 5.3 truck manifolds stick out kind of far.

If you have questions on price let me know, i have a spreadsheet tracking all of my cost so far.

Read my swap in my sig below. It took me about 6 months of research, 1 month gathering parts, two weeks to do the actual swap from 4.0 in to 5.3 in and running (i re-wired the entire jeep as well, new rear axle and a LA kit to fit the exhaust) and about another 8 months to get it refereed in California to pass smog. If you want it reliable look at spending ~$10k. Sure you can do it for less but its all about what you will be using it for and how reliable you want it to be. I have put 27k on my swap and know all the ins-and outs of what works and what doesn't with the 5.3 in an XJ. I have even driven mine on multiple 3,000 mile plus road trips. The torque is amazing on the trails. Well worth it, unless you have to deal with any sort of smog laws.

I’m just trying to figure out the easiest way to have a transfer case with vss, I currently have a 231j with an sye kit.

There has got to be a lot more to this story! Nobody would take months and spend thousands of dollars for a simple $300 fix?

Back