• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Working on a dana 44 and 9" build

ALL PLAY

NAXJA Forum User
I have a chance to get a dana 44 and 9" out of an early bronco. My question is it worth all the effort and modification. Would be stronger or should I just up what I got. I am running an open 30 and locked 35 no other mods to the diff. w/33's and 4:10's.

All comments welcome.

Thanks for the help in advance.....

No doubt the 9 inch is worth the effort. 3-4 times better than a 35. Would be good for a much larger tire than what you have now.

The 44 to me isn't worth the trouble if you're running 33's. Much easier to put in some good axles (which you'd need to do to the 44 too) and forget about it. If you hop up to 35's it might be worth the extra reliablity to go with the D44.

I would definetely regear to 4.56 or 4.88 if you are gonna stay with 33's or 35's.

i did the swap on my 92, but i used full width from 78 bronco. i run 36 iroks and 5:13's open front, spool rear. i've had it done for quite awhile and haven't had any problems with breakage yet.

JEEParon said:
i did the swap on my 92, but i used full width from 78 bronco. i run 36 iroks and 5:13's open front, spool rear. i've had it done for quite awhile and haven't had any problems with breakage yet.

not trying to hijack but what shafts are in the front? stock, alloy?
what about the rear 30 spline?

Last edited:
Back