• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring retainer clip is causing rattle when spring compresses.

deskjockey

NAXJA Forum User
After all this time I have finally discovered what is causing the 'loose' rattle feeling whenever I hit potholes or any other rough surfaces. Just last night I noticed that when I pound on the front driver's side spring with my fist I can reproduce the rattle that I normally feel/hear. I have Rusty's 3" coils, and I've had them for almost 3yrs.? The little retainer cllip that holds the spring in place has a 'squished' area worn out of it where the coil rides on it. The coil barely rests on the clip with the weight of the vehicle on it. It's the vibration of the coil against the top of the spring retainer clip that is causing the rattle. My question...has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to fix it? Is it necessary to keep that retainer clip? I hardly wheel at all anymore...just hunting trails, so I wouldn't think I'd be in a situation where my coil could pop out/off. Although I have been running without a front swaybar for almost a year.

I have a rattle too and thought of those clips as being the culprit. The bolts that hold my clips in are stripped so I can't tighten them up. I guess I should take them out to see if that is infact what is causing the rattle. Maybe I can put a bigger bolt in there to tighten them up. I don't know what good my clips are doing being stripped, but I don't know if it would be a good idea to remove them completely either.

A lot of people run without clips top or bottom.

If I understand your problem correctly it sounds like it's just bent. If you want to keep it, take it out, bend it to fit and put it back.

HTH

Dirk Pitt said:

There is no clip at the top. What you been smokin' dude?

Lawn Cher' said:

I know, but he might not.

Hoyo De Monterrey.

shove some rubber from a cut up bungie in there where it rattles?

thats what i did to fix my rattling seat...

Lawn Cher' said:
Dirk Pitt said:
Isn't that half of what he just said?? :laugh3: No clips at the top...
happyfinger.gif

I'm confused.(no comments!) I have a 2001 XJ. The spring retainer clip mounts over the bottom most section of the coil to hold the spring in place when that side is un-sprung due to flex. Deskjockey makes it sound like his is mounted under the bottom of the spring rendering it useless. :dunno: Hows about a pic.

Back