• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new shocks and spring suggestions

heighton_mu

NAXJA Forum User
hey all i have a 96 xj classic with around 193000 miles and the shocks have been replaced once and springs have not. it has been riding really rough lately. any suggestions on a awesome pair of shocks and spring?? want a smooth ride! thanks!

yea i have the same prob :rattle: too i did new shocks and when i go over bumps feel like the rear is going to let loose :rattle:

Want to maintain stock height?

I have the same problem on my 98 and plan to do the Rocklizard Budget Boost (lift) on the back (using additional stock top XJ leaf in the pack) Rocklizard BB and spacers in front. Many say this gives better than stock ride.

Is your XJ a daily driver?
Any trail work?
Do you have a limited or unlimited budget?

Those are important questions to consider for shocks.

I hope the veterans step in here. Lots of good stuff found HERE
T

OME from DPG

Has the ride quality, the height your looking for and he gives the best service. Now if I could just get to the garage to install it....

Go for factory Upcountry Springs. Eagle just listed a guy a few posts ago and I have seen them for a good price through Quadratec. My 96 had Upcountry Springs put on shortly before I purchased it and I am very happy with the clearance and ride quality. As for shocks I just put on the blue Monroe ones and they also work well.

My '88 XJ (with factory heavy duty springs, which is NOT the same as Up Country) has been riding on Monroe Gas Magnums for well over 100,000 miles and I'm still happy with the ride. However, ride quality is subjective, and I prefer a firm ride.

Many of the "name" brand off-road shocks, such as Rancho, will be stiffer than what's ideal for someone who wants the best possible on-road ride. For those people, if they are at stock height I recommend the Monroe Sensatrac shocks. They use a shock tube that has grooves near the center of the piston travel to allow some fluid to bypass the piston, resulting in a smooth ride. As the suspension compresses or droops farther away from center, the grooves end and the ride tightens up.

Because of the groove location, these are only suited for use on stock height suspensions. For an XJ with a budget boost, I'd go with either a Monroe Reflex, or the current equivalent of the shocks I have. That gets confusing, because they don't call it the same thing now, and to further confuse things Advance Auto sells Monroes using a different model name for that particular shock.

Hi Eagle, what is the differnece b/w heavy duty and up country springs? I'm just curious for future reference. Thanks

edmaude said:
Hi Eagle, what is the differnece b/w heavy duty and up country springs? I'm just curious for future reference. Thanks
The heavy duty suspension was an option in the AMC years, but Chrysler dropped it. My springs have a higher spring rate than Up Country springs, but they don't provide any lift -- they ride at the "stock" height.

Back