• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4WD indicator switch on t/case.

Jay S.

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of switching from a 242 to a 231 and one of the things that is different is the 4wd switch on top of the case. The one in the 242 case (and the wiring) is a 4-pin connector. The switch in the 231 is a 2-pin connector (I didn't get the wiring with the 231 case).
I was wondering if I can swap switches so the wire will connect to the 242 switch now in the 231 case????????

Any help is appreciated!

Why don't you get the 2-pin wire plug and harness from a 231 equipped XJ ? People installing a 242 into an original 231 XJ get the 242 plug and snip their 231 plug off and wire up the 242 plug. I don't see why you can't clip the wire plug off and hard wire the switch with the parts you have now.

Well the fact of the matter is that I got the 231 t/case online and it didn't get delivered with any harness.......

Just splice in the blacks together (grounds) and the black / reds together (part time light). Just dead end the black / white wire. Good to go. If you want to get fancy, you can pick up the individual wire ends (at auto parts store) that will have whichever (male or female) you need to plug in to vehicle harness.

I read somewhere that the pigtail is an easily available part to get at the dealership and it's only like $15 or so. I might go that route.....does anyone have the part number???????????

Back