• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swapping?

jeepspeed93

NAXJA Forum User
so my cherokee has 171+ thousand miles on it and it has been spewing oil pretty badly...

i am most likely just going to put a rebuilt or low mileage engine in it

any local shops that anyone knows of?
it would need to be knocked out in like a day or weekend..cause this is my dd

thanks

171k is not a ton of miles! Your rear main seal maybe bad?

jeepspeed93 said:
so my cherokee has 171+ thousand miles on it and it has been spewing oil pretty badly...

thanks

i knoww i just want it to be street worthy for long trips...
im not sure if its the rear main or the oil adaptor o rings....which i just bought yesterday at the dealer

There are quite a few NAXJA guys in your area that should be able to tell you where the leak is coming from. Robert Prater is in the Lake forest area & a very helpful guy might want to hit him up.

jeepspeed93 said:

thanks

If you do not want to do it yourself, you can contact Nick @ Jeeptricks Motors in Orange as he works days, nights & weekends. His cell # is 951-264-8162

Tony

its a 93
hmmm....so jeeptricks is the best bet?

i would but im not that mechanically inclined...im 19
weve already changed out transfer case
my dad is offering to help me fund this too....so im just looking for ideas

jeepspeed93 said:
its a 93
hmmm....so jeeptricks is the best bet?

i would but im not that mechanically inclined...im 19
weve already changed out transfer case
my dad is offering to help me fund this too....so im just looking for ideas

do you have another engine yet? you will need to find one before you plan the swap, dont tell a shop to find you one you'll get hosed. find a motor and make it a work party, we work for beer and food :D shouldnt take more than a day or two if there are complications.

GrimmJeeper said:
do you have another engine yet? you will need to find one before you plan the swap, dont tell a shop to find you one you'll get hosed. find a motor and make it a work party, we work for beer and food :D shouldnt take more than a day or two if there are complications.

Here is the order in which you want to do the swap.

Remove old engine, install new engine, test and make sure everything is ok...Beer and food.

Not Beer then swap, or it will just be Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Sun night, "Hey does anyone wanna move that jeep so we can get this project started"

hahaha yeahh i dont think that would be a good combo..

hmm...so im still searching for an engine.
anyone know of any good places to look?

jeepspeed93 said:
hahaha yeahh i dont think that would be a good combo..

hmm...so im still searching for an engine.
anyone know of any good places to look?

What exactly is the reason for the swap. Just the oil leaks ? Those are easy to fix and very reasonable for the seals.

If it is more of the engine being bad, remove that one and rebuild it, or obtain a short block and rebuild it before you do the swap. I know where you can get a block (Andy, you still have that block ?)

Depending on the weekend, I could give you a hand with either way you decide to go.

Leep

You probably dont need a swap. I would happily buy a 200,000 mile jeep and expect to drive it for years and years. Spend $65 and a weekend and fix your leaks first - then see where you sit.

cal said:
You probably dont need a swap. I would happily buy a 200,000 mile jeep and expect to drive it for years and years. Spend $65 and a weekend and fix your leaks first - then see where you sit.

Agreed, the last rear main I swapped in my heep took 45 minutes and that included adding the new oil.

Yeah, I need to replace my rear main, but its not too bad yet. I don't have to add oil between (hyper-extended) oil changes...

I swapped my 2000 motor with a 98 and indexed it to tdc and hooked everything back up but have horrible backfire and it won’t start … I already junked the 2000 motor and the donor 98 … am I totally screwed here ? What would be the best bet to get this thing back to life ?

Back