• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake & Tail lights not working

bubXJ

NAXJA Forum User
The tail lights and brake lights on my jeep are not working. The headlights, marker lights, and turn signals are all working, only the rear tail lights and brake lights will not work. I have checked all the fuses, relays, and bulbs and they all appear to be fine and in working condition. Would there be a problem with one of the switches, like the brake light switch or perhaps the headlight switch?

What year?

If it was just brake lights I'd suspect the brake switch. Might be a ground problem. You may end up having to chase to the wires down front to rear to look for a damaged wire.

Do the other running lights, front side markers turn on?

bubXJ said:
The tail lights and brake lights on my jeep are not working. The headlights, marker lights, and turn signals are all working, only the rear tail lights and brake lights will not work. I have checked all the fuses, relays, and bulbs and they all appear to be fine and in working condition. Would there be a problem with one of the switches, like the brake light switch or perhaps the headlight switch?

There is 2 grounds on the rear passanger side for tail lights to..The main wires are on the driver side.. Check all the grounds.. Do you have the tow package wires in back?

Ya there is the tow package wire in the back. I actually realized that the lights weren't working when I was hitching up my trailer. So do you think I may have fried some of the wires if the trailer wasn't grounded right?

Its a 2000. All the other running lights work, including the front markers. I looked at the wires running to the tail lights themselves and i couln't see any that are fried. Where would those lights ground?

when this happened to me, my brake lights werent coming on, but all other lights worked. it was the brake switch behind the pedal on the firewall.

when the opposite happened (all lights out except brake lights) it was the headlight switch

-Tim

Back