• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blinker dead

pejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my grill surround and upon replacing the headlight & blinker harnesses to their right spots I killed a blinker.

My driver's blinker does not work at all, the bulb is good. The passenger blinker works intermittently, works more than it doesn't work though.

If I switch the turn signal lever, the dash indicator stays lit OR don't come on at all.

My running light on the driver's side is also very sensitive, it'll go out, ,but come back on if I tap it.

Also, my dash lights are very dim as well, ,could this be tied into the blinker prob?

Those of you with dimming headlights, check the ground in the plug where the lamp plugs in, my ground is not great and the headlamp goes dim & bright if I wiggle it...any ideas on that fix too?

Thanks!

O yea, save the blinker fluid comments...heard em all already.

Last edited:
You have enough poor connection problems that are reproduceable(tapping, wiggling, etc), that, you need to fix those first.

Your entire list of problems may be caused by bad grounding points

I think that your 87 is susceptable to C101 connector issues. Dirty contacts need to cleaned, etc.

Do a search for C101 and/or GROUND. That should give the locations, and fix procedures.

:eyes:Got get with the times . . . all the cool people are using blinker gel now days.:D

Some great info in there, thanks for the new search terms. I didn't think of those, I'll check the ground on the driver's fender, run the harness for split wires, then move to the C101 harness

My 4 way hazzards work fine, so the sockets are good (i'm assuming)

I unplugged the harness from the pulg behind the Left headlight and tested the ports, no blinker signal is getting to the plug, but the hazzard signal power is. My Left dash indicator were sticking on , but not anymore.
I changed the blinker relay (in the fuse box), didn't fix a thing.

Where does the 4 way hazzard coneect to the blinkers? That has to be my next step I guess.

C101 is an engine wiring harness connector. I don't believe there is any lighting wiring that passes through it.

Figured it out, the ground prong of the socket was not making a great connection. Tested fine at the wire into the socket, but bad at the actual prong making contact with the bulb.

I also managed to pop my blinker relay in the fuse box, so the combination of those 2 problems really boggled me.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and help.

i have a wierd, somewhat related problem with my 2k xj. when turning on the left turn signal, the flashers come on in the rear. in the front, only the left turn signals come on. all other lights work as they should. it is a pain, since it would be nice for those behind me to know my intentions when turning left.

I have a similar problem with my '87 when it is cold. The left sides front and back work fine but the rights are all goofed up. The right rear works fine but the right front does not blink. Also the indicator on the dash does not blink. However I can get the inside indicator and the front right to work if I pull back slightly on the emergency flasher button. Again only when it is cold out .

Back