• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard Made TIG Welder!

MrShoeBoy

NAXJA Forum User
Very cool idea :)

Very cool idea! Just for those that don't know,the "3G" alternator is a factory Ford piece on the V-6 Taurus. Happy hunting,and when someone on this forum builds one,we want a report!:D

just cause its on the internet doesn't make it cool.

I'd like to see more pics of welds, especially cut-aways before i would decide it is cool or not. 130 amps? I'm skeptical.

Beezil said:

I'd like to see more pics of welds, especially cut-aways before i would decide it is cool or not. 130 amps? I'm skeptical.

i dont know much about welders but i was thinking it would take a bit more then that too.

now who wants to make one and cut your welds down for further inspection?

but you have to give credit where credit is due, that is a bad ass idea.

Beezil said:

Well I'm just suprised that it works - or appears to anyways. I still think it's cool; I tried to tack weld once with a battery charger an a coat hanger just to see if it would work.:rolleyes: :D

i assume your end result was either a good shock and/or a shitty weld? :D

i was considering this setup (the alternator not the battery charger) and using it to arc with. but i probly wont becuase i have absolutely 0 parts they used and it would cost the same to get a cheap used arc welder.

Beezil said:

What amperage would you run in order to tig with? I know absolutly nothing about tig but would like to know more about it.

BTW: I will never bother putting a tig welder in my Jeep. Its cheaper for me to let somebody else on the trail to buy a welder and let me borrow it when I break:D

AARON

Well, when I bent my draglink 2 weeks ago at Tellico I was with a few Yota guys, and I learned how to weld with 2 sets of jumper cables (one with stinger for the welder) and 2 Optimas. It was cool to say the least. It held up great to get me back to camp, and even part way up lower 2...You can better believe I'm working on carrying something similar with me next time :)

ok I want to be able to arc with jumper cables, a rod, and my jeep. how many alternators do I need?

I'm gankin some sticks from school tomarrow, and probably shocking myself....

If you could get 130 amps output that would be plenty to do most trail repairs. What about gas? I don't have time to read the whole writeup thread. Is he carrying a bottle of argon in his rig? If not he is wasting his time. I would think using the same setup and just using welding rod (smaw) would yield much better trail results.

Economos said:
No shock and not really a weld either. But I think it was the coathanger:anon:

:D

You're not supposed to use the plastic ones...... :laugh2:

He didn't make the Tig to fit on his 'stang...he mounted it to a electric motor. Someone else suggested that it go under the hood here.

xj4rocks said:
You're not supposed to use the plastic ones...... :laugh2:

:looser: That explains so much! No actually, I believe the hangers I tried using were the painted ones, so maybe that had something to do with it? I dunno, but I bet if you do it like Mac did on Lower 2, it would work well enough to suffice for the time being.

i 'am going to give it a shot when i can get same cash. and when i figure out how to mount and shield my truck from any back feed(so i dont fry my computer).

The only time you would ever need 180amps is for welding aluminum on ac or welding 1/2" mild steel (or something crazy thick). The highest I have used my tig to date is 130.

Back