• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hooligan XJ Door Hinge Support

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Just a quick note concerning Hooligan XJ Door Hinge Supports. I purchased and installed the driver's side on my 1992 XJ 4X4 4.0 Automatic. Overall the job difficulty was moderate. Fender must come off and is retained with a dozen or so sheet metal screws. Relatively easily removed. Hooligan support fit like a glove. I welded support on after simply closing the door with no fancy jiging. The resulting door travel etc. is normal whereas before the installation there was about 1/4" sag at roofline due to the nearly torn off hinge. 8K miles later door remains good.

Hooligan supplies this part rather slowly, several weeks. Direct emails to them go unanswered. None-the-less the part did show up and worked well.

I ordered the passenger side and it arrived with about the same delay. I intend to install it even though the passenger door isn't ripped loose as the drivers door was.

So Hooligan XJ Door Hinge Supports work well!

Yeap!

I installed them on my 93 2 door, as my drivers hinge was pulling off the A pillar.
Yes they were beyond slow getting the product to me, but it is a really good quality set.

80-img_1578_e9578ccb07a63ad32a97bd6c9f47b6e52e3a8688.jpeg

I see. And you were smarter than me since you bothered to caulk up all the gaps between the support and the Jeep to keep the rust out. Wish I'd done this now.

Agree on hooligans communication. I almost did a credit card chargeback but the stuff finally randomly showed

In the original post I mentioned I ordered the passenger door support after installing the driver door. Well, the support arrived a few days ago but unfortunately it was also the driver's door and not the passenger support that I ordered. I emailed Hooligan below...

==========================
Hi Josh,

It appears that I received the DRIVER side part rather than the PASSENGER side that I ordered.

Invoice number is 3342 which was delivered today.

I have attached a picture of the invoice and the part to this email.

Please verify that the part shown is the DRIVER side. If it is then please tell me what I need to do to obtain the PASSENGER sider part which I ordered.
===========================

Not 2 days elapsed and I received this reply:

Josh Bloom
Aug 1, 2022, 11:17 AM (22 hours ago)
to me

100% that is a driver. Wel, the good news is that you get to keep that driver side and I will get a passenger in the mail today. Sorry for the mistake. look for an email with new tracking info later today.

Josh Bloom
Hooligan Off Road

No email has yet arrived but I am confident that the part will show up in a week or so.

The take-away is that someone is reading email. I guess they are just a little slow where ordinary questions are concerned. At least they respond right away if there is a major problem.

Guess I have a spare for when the door falls off again (in another 380K miles...)

I’ve owned 3 2door xj’s in my days… all 3 needed cracks fixed around the door “vent”, and 2 of them needed hinges re welded… I’m also 250lbs.

IMHO, this product is a solution looking for a problem. There is no reason any jeep needs that much reinforcement in that area. Seems like a simpleton “JuSt pLaTE iT IN 3/16 steel! DURR!” mentality… What are you guys doing to your doors?!?

I’ve owned 3 2door xj’s in my days… all 3 needed cracks fixed around the door “vent”, and 2 of them needed hinges re welded… I’m also 250lbs.

IMHO, this product is a solution looking for a problem. There is no reason any jeep needs that much reinforcement in that area. Seems like a simpleton “JuSt pLaTE iT IN 3/16 steel! DURR!” mentality… What are you guys doing to your doors?!?

My 96 4 door driver door top hinge fell off completely. I am always easy on my vehicles. I disagree with your analysis.

That piece is not a solution looking for a problem but rather a solution to a major problem. That is the way I see it as well as the many XJ owners whose doors are/were on the verge of falling off.

Necessity is the mother of invention. :cheers:

I found it to be an excellent solution on my 95. I opened the door in a windstorm and it tweaked the hinges real bad. I thought about just trying to re-align it and weld the hinges back without the Hooligan brace. But it just didn't seem to be strong enough.

The Hooligan brace worked really well and is rock solid. It is a little tedious to weld on, mostly because of trying to remove the paint for welding. But you would have to do that anyway even if you're just welding up cracks. Now I did not remove the door, so I was a little more of a challenge.

It welded up great, I sealed it with seam sealer, and painted it up to match. I thought it was a great product and a great solution. I have 2 other sets on the shelf in case it happens to my other Heeps.

YMMV

Well... the story continues. Josh sent what he believed to be a PASSENGER side part, but the part in the box was -another- DRIVER side. I notified him several times over a period of weeks and, at last, a PASSENGER side support arrived. So my order is complete. It took a while.

I now have two DRIVER side parts. I do not need these since I've already installed the DRIVER side previous to my order for a PASSENGER side. I emailed Josh requesting instructions as to what to do with the two DRIVER side but have hand no reply and I believe no reply is coming.

I'll sell these by posting elsewhere on NAXJA.

Back