• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242 indicator switch positions?

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
The full-time indicator circuit on my 242 does not work properly (it has a bulb that works yadda yadda). Sometimes I will go start the pos and the light stays on for a while, sometimes it will just flicker a bit after shifting into full-time position, most of the time it does nothing. I bought another switch, and it is the same thing.

I am thinking there is a problem with the engagement between the shaft and the spring-loaded ball in the switch. I need some help troubleshooting this specific thing.

Looking at the original switch, it seems that one circuit is closed when the ball is in the (default) extended position, and the other circuit is closed with the ball is fully depressed. Neither circuit is closed when the ball is halfway between fully extended and fully depressed.

I can guess that the middle position is supposed to be 2WD (no lights so no circuit). Does anybody know which circuit belongs to the fully extended or fully depressed positions? It would be keyed to the shaft

edit--I realized I could ground the wire harness pins and tell which circuit was being activated. The full-time light still does not come on, so I guess its possibly a bulb issue after all :roll:

Last edited:
Double check the wiring if you haven't already, mine would come on and off randomly. found a broke wire underneath above the transfer case that was grounding out when I hit bumps. Fixed the wire and it works perfect.

For future reference, looking at the switch with the connector on top and the tab for the clip facing you

the pin on the left is for the red/black wire on the part-time circuit and is activated when the ball is fully inserted

the pin on the right is for the yellow/black wire on the full-time circuit and is activated when the ball is fully extended

in-between the two extremes is a dead zone that does nothing, both circuits open (for 2WD, which does not have a light, hence no circuit)

In my case the LED bulb I had installed was the problem, internal problem causing it to flicker or not work, replaced it with a regular incandescent 74 and the lights work fine

Last edited:
Back