• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone run Dana 30 bearing cap load bolts, ring gear load bolts, and girdle caps?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
anyone using a ruffstuff cover as a base for bearing cap load bolts, girdles and possibly even running a ring gear load bolt?

I am looking for ideas, build threads. cant find much other Carl Jantz on pirates website.

http://www.jantz4x4.com//jantz.php?p=detail&pro=load_bolts

just fishing around for anythign dana 30 related. been drinking coffee and searching all morning without much luck for dana 30 related stuff.

blondejon

I'm not sure its worth it for a 30, but I would call carl and ask him.

the though has crossed my mind on the 8.8 I'm building.

I'm not sure its worth it for a 30, but I would call carl and ask him.

x2

A RuffStuff cover with the countersunk bolts will greatly help with housing deflection. I dont really see the point in the gridle/load bolts for a 30 though, the carrier is still equal to a wet noodle in strength. Maybe if there was an ARB in there but I think its wasted money on a 30.

right now im trussed, sleeved, gusseted, RS cover, knuckle gussets, lunchbox with hardened cross pin, 4.88s, on 36s and RS headlocks. I just want to eek out a little more strength where I can.

To me the 40-50$ for some aftermarket load bolts and bearing cap studs and and an evening in the garage to tap some DOM, drill out the cover, gusset , etc etc and welding it all in doesnt really seem like alot of time or money to me for helping reduce ring gear deflection which is a major cause in premature gear failure.

as for the ring gear load bolt, ill do that after everything else and wheel it as it is for a while before I slap that in- I just wouldnt spend 100-150 on the Jantz kit, Ill just build it all myself for much less.

I need a source on dana 30 bearing cap studs and some generic bearing cap load bolts (swivel end at bearing caps and hex end at cover.

Last edited:
Currie hp 3rd is an 8.8.
well more specifically, 8.8 gearset, no 3rd bearing on the pinion.

Still way better than a 30

Id rather build and narrow a dodge lp driver drop 60 and a 14b ff, way cheaper and very strong plus i could sell my axles whole to fund it all. . To build a lp 35 spline rear end for my rear 9"( just the 3rd) would cost alot. a good lp third that fits 35 spline, 35 spline detroit, gears, locker, etc, adds up fast. ive already ran all the numbers. For now, I wouldnt mind beefing up the 30 here and there until im ready to build the 60 front.

If you really want to minimize ring gear deflection, start with a full case locker...and set the carrier bearing preload as tight as possible (use a case spreader). I think messing with load bolts and bearing cap studs is a waste if you're still using an OEM open carrier.

good call. Ill go to a full carrier locker pretty soon. Maybe money and effort is best spent on the full case locker first.

T/A sells bearing cap load bolts in various lengths for 10$, and they are looking into bearing cap studs for the dana 30 as well.

I ordered a full case (grizzly) locker/master install today from rwkhaus so that will also help a ton. I am planning on using my bobby long heat treated&cryod gears as well.

I am thinking a full case locker, cryod R&P, bearing cap load bolts, and bearing cap studs should really dial it in.

I cant find the thread pitch any where online for the stock bearing cap bolts on the 30. talking to T/A for studs.

Back