• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I can't see

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
:eyes:

Back in the days...several years ago, Angel Eyes headlamp were all the rage (early 2000's) to replace the OEM sealed beam. I was a follower of the crowd and got myself some. Not the fancy ones just the plain ones. They worked great for many years illuminating the road in front of my XJ. They had a shield in the front of the reflector that worked wonders in cutting off the high beam thus making it easier on the approaching driver.

Today, both the lenses have had their shear of rock chips that allowed water to seep in when driving which caused the lenses to rust. To add insult to injury, the replacement bulbs at the discount parts stores were difficult if not impossible to aim properly. I want to retire them.

What is the going thing today that is good value for money? Nothing fancy, just a good bright/white light that go a long way down the road.

If I were looking for new headlights I would look at JW Speaker: https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/categories/headlights/

Different folks will draw the line in different places. Your best value for the money might look like a Chicom knock-off of the JW Speaker lights. Personally, I am not too keen on Chicom knock-offs.

Hella E-Code H-4 with halogen 100/90 bulbs.

What is the wattage on a standard factory headlamp? I have upgraded my harness and at some point may add the Hella's.

Just wondering if I need the 100/80 or 90 of if the 65/55 provides ample enough light for occasional on-road driving.

My thinking (which may be wrong) is that the lower wattage will be less strain on the electrical system.

Was going to suggest the Autopal 6054 (200mm) H4 e-code housings, but I'm not finding any on eBay of the type I have (with the fluted lens) at the moment.

I see the "diamond" ones (faceted reflector, rather than fresnel-type lens), and I don't have any experience with those.

Nope - but in, oh, must be 40+ years now, nobody's ever checked the wattage of my bulbs (up to a total of 460 w on hi-beam).

For the definitive guide to H4 bulbs, I'd recommend a thread on the Tacoma World site.

That said, not sure that hi-wattage bulbs haven't had their day, as those enhanced output bulbs which have been around for years now are now up to something like +150%. Not ready to embrace the technology? At least check it out. (especially if you're concerned about legality - OR plastic enclosures.

Nope - but in, oh, must be 40+ years now, nobody's ever checked the wattage of my bulbs (up to a total of 460 w on hi-beam).

For the definitive guide to H4 bulbs, I'd recommend a thread on the Tacoma World site.

That said, not sure that hi-wattage bulbs haven't had their day, as those enhanced output bulbs which have been around for years now are now up to something like +150%. Not ready to embrace the technology? At least check it out. (especially if you're concerned about legality - OR plastic enclosures.

It's been 50 years for me.

Upgrading the headlight wire harness makes even stock sealed beam lights burn brighter.

H-4 headlights that are E-Code (Euro style beam pattern) are a huge improvement over DOT approved headlights.

I run Cibie's and a Susquehanna wiring harness. I bought them from Daniel Stern. Works great. I have used the Autopals, old ones. VG. I did have an issue with the Chinese wiring harness. Sterns does sell some made in Japan head lamps. I run stock H4 bulbs. I do have Hella and Carrillo in my MB 240D. They work good too. I am using Flosser bulbs now. Other German ones out there.
One of the German light bulb manufactures make an under$100 LED headlight set. I think Osram.

Upgrading the headlight wire harness makes even stock sealed beam lights burn brighter.

H-4 headlights that are E-Code (Euro style beam pattern) are a huge improvement over DOT approved headlights.

If I don't like my factory headlights, I'll buy the H4's. I think they will be okay unless I have gotten so used to modern headlamps with nice cut-offs, etc. It's been quite a few years since I have been behind sealed beams, lol.

Agreed.

I'm running an upgraded harness and Silverstar sealed beams and its great.

You can still get sealed beams? Absolutely flabbergasted! Even the 75w ones some British "executive" cars had in the early '70's were barely fit for purpose (although, of course, we didn't have uprated harnesses then).

Fitted a number of those harnesses over the years, primarily to protect switches, never noticed any real difference in light output/quality - but then our starting point was standard (or better) Euro enclosures (had lots of success with ex-Lada/Polski Fiat el cheapo Hella copies) with H4's. e.g. export XJ's had Cibie headlights, optically excellent but by then they rotted like Carello's! Hella's definitely the way to go, especially if you want to ramp up the wattage. My '98 came with PAL units (clear lenses & ribbed reflectors) - they're OK but, as they're all plastic, wary of putting higher wattage bulbs in them.

Thanks to all for their contributions. I like the Osram, the idea of having a bulb...don't know why. :dunno: Do they have the complete package, housing and bulbs? A good quality housing is worth its weight in gold.

Then again, the Truck Lights have very good reviews. They are certainly worth looking at. Seeing those LED's as one walks to the XJ will take a bit to get accustomed to.

I suppose when I get my XJ to the point I want to start "improving" it, I'll get a set of Hella E-Codes. But it will be awhile, lol. I'm still undoing the jackleg mechanic work done by previous owners and cleaning the right inside of the Jeep where it appears it was dunked into water at some point. I currently have the fuse block on my bench getting a complete cleaning!

Back