• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hold this please....

Erik

NAXJA Forum User
Short story: I'm looking for 2 items:

1)some D ring style anchor points to replace the stock tie downs in the cargo area. I've found 1" rings (Too small) and 3" rings (too Large).
2) Some sort of quick lock/release clamp to hold an axe/shovle handle.

Long story: I want to get rid of my swing-out tire carrier and keep my spare (33") in the rear cargo area. I'm building a small (48"X33") rack which will sit about 14" above the floor in the cargo area, giving me enough space for a spare tire, parts, tools, and give me a nice platform to stack camping supplies. (a roof rack is out of the question, I want to keep the center of gravity low). I plan to tie down the rack and spare to some anchor points, which is why I'm looking to upgrade those whimpy stock tie downs. While I'm at it, I want to rig up mounts on the rack for an axe and shovel. With my hobbies, you've just GOT to have an axe. Once you're done with the axe, it's a good idea to have a shovel handy for clean up (that reminds me, need to pick up some 50lb bags of lime). Anyway, I've looked at the mounts that Garvin and other rack manufactures provide, and they are neither quick, convinient or cheap. any better ideas out there?

For the rings inside I've found the perfect fix! Go to the local bone yard and find old small Chevy Blazers/GMC Jimmy's, there's one D-Ring (actually it's a more of an A-Ring) in the center of the cargo bay, it's PEFECT! I'll snap a picture of the ones that I got to show you if you want. They hold down my speaker box and gear well.

Also, FYI, for securing loads on the inside I use turnbuckles on those rings, holds my speaker box (probably about 20 - 30 lbs I'd say) down GREAT!

Sequoia

I saw someone who had a custom built "cage" in the rear cargo for a spare tire. It looked pretty kool in my opinion. It was either here, 4x4wire, or southernjeeps.org that the picture was at. I can try and find the pic if you want.

yo whitey.....

this one?

Carrier5.JPG

lol, yep thatsONE of them i saw. The other one was made inside the (uncut) back. The trunk was still able to close too!

Hey Erik -
If yer gettin' rid of the outside tyre carrier, what would it take for me to get it off yer hands? Just wondering - I could use one... I'm running 31's and make EXTENSIVE use of my cargo space, so I'm usually without a spare for the moment...

5-90

I did this - the rack is more of a sleep platform and safety cage than anything else - the rings are welded into the floor and the came from a trailer supply store - they hold the ammo box securely even when the rig is on its lid :rolleyes:

Matt

hard_deck4.jpg

safety2.jpg

Erik, those stock hooks will hold more than you think. I think you remember my big storage drawer before I cut the back off. I used those stock rings, with a steel rivet like they're mounted to the floor, on the top four corners of the box. I kept my spare, plus other gear piled on top and straped down, all of it attached to those stock rings. Of course, I mostly had a bunch of bungee cords attached to them, and I don't know what you're going to tie down. I did have straps over the tire.

Sorry 5-90, I still plan to keep my bumper, I'm just getting rid of the swing out attachment (I even plan to keep the swing out mounts on the bumper, as Richard has shown that you can use them to make interesting modifications to other people's bumpers.) Yeah what I'm working on will look similar to Matt's, except it won't be tied to a roll cage:-( I've seen the tie-downs that Matt is using, but I didn't want to cut that big of a hole in my floor. I know, I should just get over it. Hey Matt, didn't you put a backing plate underneath? That's what I'm planing to do with some 1" D-rings that I found (Richard, they need to hold down my spare, tool box, and the rack with all it's gear.. Probably about 300lbs fully loaded. I ain't gona trust the rivited factory tiedowns with that much wieght!). Also I found some pole holders at West Marine (Thanks Paul) which should work as a shovel holder.

Yea I saw the old Jimmy ring in a friends the other day. I was thining about going to the local dealer to see if they were still made! Four in the rear cargo area would be perfect!

Erik said:
I've seen the tie-downs that Matt is using, but I didn't want to cut that big of a hole in my floor. I know, I should just get over it. Hey Matt, didn't you put a backing plate underneath? ..............

Also I found some pole holders at West Marine (Thanks Paul) which should work as a shovel holder.

I just cut a hole for the recessed bit and then put in four good rosette welds on each one - that box only weigh's about 50 lbs loaded with stuff...

As for the shovel holder I just made one - copied from a WWII jeep - all it really is: 1" flat bar bent around the shovel (I had to use some round tube as some standoffs to keep the blade tip off the hatch) and then a piece of 3/8" rod bent 90 degrees and welded to a plate on the hatch - the "D" handle has a 3/8" hole the rod slips into - to get the shovel out all you do is lift up and then back to slip the blade out...

Matt

exo_shovel3.jpg

Back