• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gemma Jeep Build

MJmanche

NAXJA Forum User
Decided I would start a build thread and due to the jeep being 3 years into the build a lot will be catch up.

When we got the jeep my wife had decided that it would be nicknamed Gemma. Picked it up from the original owner who had bought it back in '97. Besides the major clear coat peeling due to the Jeep living in Arizona most of its life.

Specs:
1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0l/AW4/231/D30/C8.25
114,000 Miles.

First thing I did was put on a pieced together 3" lift from another NAXJA member and bought some 31x10.50r15 BFG KO2 from discount tire and took it out for its first adventure.

Last edited:
Next on the list of things I did to my jeep was pulling the trigger on the Rusty's steel fender flares, the last few jeeps I owned I always wanted his set.

Got them all installed and loved the look of them! However my 31's were looking a little small at this point.

Went for a test run at TSF, loved being able to wheel and not have any rubbing issues while turning or at full flex, even iff there isn't much articulation at this point.

Last edited:
Well it didn't take long for me to give Gemma her first scar. Decided that I would perform surgery on her and went crazy. cut and replaced the rockers with 2x6 steel and added mid-stiffeners.

Last edited:
I knew it was time for the stock bumper to leave and to have a reliable and strong front recovery. Decided to design my own bumper and cut it out. Also decided that an Engo 9500# winch was going to be my winch of choice, got "last years model" for a good price with the synthetic line.

Then it was time to do a rear bumper!

It was time to add a locker to the jeep, I had decided that a selectable locker in the rear would be the best. I ended up mounting the air compressor under the back seat to keep it protected and so I could hear it running.

Don't have a picture of the initial install but hers a picture of it just before i did my gears.

Around this time I also got new 33s, I decided on the Falken MT01. Decided a trip to TSF was needed to test out the new air locker and the tires, I have zero complaints about the locker or tires, both ran perfect.

Well at this point it was time to do my gears. I went with USA standard 4.56 gears and a Yukon grizzly for my front axle.

Since the jeep was up on stands at his point, I decided to throw in a SYE in my 231 to get rid of all vibrations.

Thanks all, I have slowly been getting parts trickled in from Barnes4wd. Will be doing a mid-arm build similar to Torx and Mnkyboy. I plan on shooting for a 30" arm. Have the metalcloak 6" dual rate coils and still contemplating what shocks I want to run.

Like most jeep owners I ended up smashing my tail lights, another NAXJA member sold me a nice set of JCR housings, had a friend of mine powder coat them and bought my LEDs from SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.com

They look amazing all installed.

Been slowly ordering parts for my jeep in order to go up the next level. Because I know that I will stay on these axles for a long period of time I decided that some upgrades were needed. Barnes4wd has been my go to for every builder part this far besides my stiffeners.

The axle link mounts i got from them will need to be reworked a bit due to the slotted holes to be used with a camber bolt and my jeep not having them. Thanks to Mnkyboy suggestion will weld a thick fender washer in place and not use thee slotted feature. I will post more pictures to come on the upcoming id arm build and the truss install.

Went on the beginners bash run today and had a blast. It made for a great first NAXJA wheeling event i have been on.

First run with the 4.56 gears and the front locker, everything met my expectations and no issues or unusual noises.

Definitly found the need for a power steering cooler on the rig, she started to get pretty noisy about halfway through the day, luckily the outside temps werent hot. But for sure needs to be addressed before this summer!

As far as power steering goes I decided on doing a 4 pass universal cooler, going to use a BMW remote power steering resevoir, do the WestTexas offroad P/S modification and a PSC 4.5" pulley. I will also drill and tap my box for hydro assist for down the road when i decide to buy a cylinder.

Well, it was finally time for me to completely redo my suspension. Started off with adding shackle relocation brackets to the jeep with longer shackles.

Next it was time to rip out the front axle and to begin installing the new control arm mounts to the axle along with welding the truss onto the axle as well.

Started welding my front frame stiffeners I had purchased through ruffstuff, not a fan that the stiffeners had no factory holes for the front bumper so had to drill them out myself.

Finished up the welding of the truss and control arm mounts.

Measured out my lower control arms and found that a 28" arm will be the best bet for me so that's what I cut and welded them to. Thinking I will run aslight stretch in the front, possibly aiming for a wheelbase of 102"-103".

The part I was dreading most...going through the floor board of the passenger side. Found that ultimately I wanted an adjustable upper mount, decided to set my separation at the options of 5",6",7". What I ended up doing was making a stiffener to weld to the inner frame of my jeep. I welded up a Barnes4wd adjustable mount to that stiffener. Decided to use a single piece to box in everything and to weld it to the floor board to give it a little more strength, and finally added some gussets.

That's all I have completed so far, looking into wrapping up this project and hitting the trails!

After watching the cost of cages slowly creeping up I decided to pull the trigger and order an XO Fab hybrid cage. Figured with 2 kids now and it being a family wheeler that I need to protect them in case of a roll over or flopping over on the trail.

Looks good. But those jack stands!!!

Wish I had those when I was doing my stiffeners.

I can't tell, are those the Sunex 1310 or 1410? And where did you get them?

Finally finished my mid arm build, upper link at the frame side is adjustable from 5.5", 6.5", 7.5"; currently have it set to 6.5" and love where its at so far. Axle side separation is at 8.25". Upper link length ended out to be 29.5" and my lowers were 28.5".

Tested full bump, found no clearance issues at full bump.

Really enjoy the the ride height so far.

And of course, my front driveshaft was too short so I ordered a front driveshaft from adams driveshaft.

Deciding what shock to run was quite the internal battle, however I ended up getting some Bilstein 5100s. rear shocks are a little short, so I think I may move the rear mount up on the axle a little higher, right where the white line is.

After seeing my jeep lifted and done on 33s... I needed to go up a size so 35x12.50r15 KM3 were ordered.

Back