• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V8 Swap, Need radiator tips, ideas

Extended frame horns, WJ steering box for clearance, Howe radiator:

I did the summit dual 1in core aluminum radiator I think only $160ish. I had to remove the stock steering box I just went full hydro. I dont think the mechanical fan is an option with a steering box so add another $150-200.

Ive ran mine for awhile with the mechanical fan, no shroud and this radiator, now thats it 100+ temps in AZ, I did overheat on me once we started low speed throttle attacks. Not bad but enough to want to upgrade it.

I will now need to upgrade to an electric 16in fan or dual 10infans with shroud, Ill also upgrade the watter pump.

I have no AC, I used the AC condenser to cool my auto, I have a tranns cooler for the steering, I have a winch and a front bumper that block allot of air flow. you can see I have allot in front of the rad. This with no shroud was ok till it got really hot like it is now.
download.php

I notched the pinch seam on the frame trails I attached it to the stock top mount and made a bottom mount using some angle iron with a padded cusion so the mount will not rub on the aluminum.
download.php

Last edited:
Modifying the front frame and using the WJ steering box allowed the use of the stock truck fan (19.5 OD) and the full-size radiator (Howe #342A28, from Summit Racing). The mechanical fan hits the stock XJ box.

Back