• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird noise from engine

saweddoffjeep

NAXJA Forum User
so last night i was driving home and i started to hear a strange sound coming from the passenger side of the engine, it sounds like scratching, or when a cd skips, and i have no idea wat that is

any suggestions?

i checked my distributor cap and rotor, and all that seems fine, but when i popped the hood i noticed my radiator overflow tank was empty, and there was the green liquid all over the engine compartment
would that be what was wrong?

filled the coolant bottle up, and i tried to start it up, but it sounds like grinding now, could that be the starter? im guessing it is

Most likely it's the alternator bearing. Take the serpentine belt off and spin the alternator and see if you hear that noise. That nasty green stuff can do a number on alternators.

i dont think it could be the alternator, but i would definately take a good look to see just incase, i also checked the starter and there was a fair amount of oil and the nasty green crap all over it

Back